Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate it. It seems like every new poster I see doesn't have any location listed. I have no idea if I'm talking to someone in Key West or Anchorage. My replies may well be different for each.
I am pretty sure that it used to be required.
Why no longer?

·
Super Moderator
11,004 Posts
I sallied forth and jousted with the dragon,:p but it slayeth me. :eek:

VerticalScope's response to my earlier request to continue 'required' location, more or less, was that it was simply too complicated for them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Beemandan,
Do you know where to enter your location? I have not been able to find a place to put it in. I may have missed it when I signed up.

·
Super Moderator
11,004 Posts
Do you know where to enter your location?
Its under "Settings" at the very top of the page, then look to the left side for "Edit Profile".

Or click this: https://www.beesource.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

[hr] [/hr]

Note: traditionally, the Location field, once populated (which was required), was not able to be edited by members (by design). Updates to the Location field needed intervention by a Mod/Admin. So I'm not sure, under the new setup, whether that field is editable by members or not once the field is initially populated. For those that would like to update their location field, and find that they cannot, please PM a moderator and we can do that.

Note that Mods may evaluate your IP address location when processing Location field updates.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I agree. We should encourage all new posters to edit their profile to display a location. They can be as general as a State or USDA Zone. We don't need to know how to find them. Just how to relate to them.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beemandan,
Do you know where to enter your location? I have not been able to find a place to put it in. I may have missed it when I signed up.
You're lookin' good now!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,816 Posts
Cool, the location now an editable data field. I just changed mine from Richmond, which is 28 miles away, to my actual town.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
VerticalScope's response to my earlier request to continue 'required' location, more or less, was that it was simply too complicated for them. :rolleyes:
simple enough people, don't answer questions for people that don't have a location, let the dragon deal with that

·
Administrator
397 Posts
Hello there,

User profile fields during registration are something we're trying to get back on.
Unfortunately, I don't have news on this yet but it is something that was mentioned multiple times.
The workaround is to get the location edited in their User CP.

Very sorry for the inconvenience,

Ed

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
simple enough people, don't answer questions for people that don't have a location,
I doubt that most newcomers fail to enter their location in an effort to conceal it but just don't realize that it is even possible and meaningful to enter it.
It wouldn't be productive to turn a cold shoulder to new members simply because they aren't prompted for a location entry when they sign up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Seems to me we should just point out the issue to the poster and ask that they update their profile and explain that it is for their benefit.

·
Administrator
397 Posts
The best way would be to ask the member for location details in your reply, or mention to them they can update it in their profile.
-
JB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts