Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a heavily wooded area. Getting my first bees in a week. The location on my property that gets the first sun light is close to our chicken coop and the kennel where our black lab spends the daylight hours. I read that hives should not be located close to confined livestock. How close can I locate the hives to the dog kennel and the chickens?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine are with in 50 feet of my dog kennels and 100 feet of my chickens. What they mean is its not a good idea to put hives inside the ebclosure. That way the animals dont mess with the hive and then have no where to go once the bees have been upset.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine would be within 15 feet of the dog kennel and 15 feet of the chicken run. The chicken coop would be about 25 feet away. Not as concern with the chickens as I am the dog.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just started a new outyard yesterday. The property owner has a 2 year old black lab that followed me to the site. When I opened up the second colony the lab was about 25' from the hive and laying down. He probably got a few stings before he jumped in the back of my SUV. I'll bet that's the last time he follows me to the hives.

If your dog can't get away from the bees that would be pretty cruel. After seeing the dog get stung I'd suggest you choose another spot.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I would not put hives anywhere near animals that can't get away if the bees bother them. Most of the time the bees don't bother our dogs but on occasion I have seen them literally attacked by the bees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts