Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Northern Utah bee keeper was stung 30 to 40 times and passed away. She reportedly had vail and gloves on. With all things there are risks. Has this happened very often among beekeepers? Makes me think twice about having the hives in my yard with kids. Not a bad idea to always suit up.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Nope, that's often the crux of the problem. A beekeeper who is always in the line of fire, but avoids getting hit (stung), too much of the time. That's how such hyper-allergic reactions are usually created. If the beekeeper would have been stung a few more times, regularly, perhaps a few times per week or per month, they might not have become so sensitive to the bee venom as to have a life-threatening reaction to so few stings. But what did or didn't happen, is certainly no consolation, now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This will probably get big in our news here in Yuba (because there isn't anything better to talk about) so how do I combat negative press people try and spread my way about this??

My parents still aren't sold on the whole beekeeping thing, and things like this won't help…
Just how likely is this to happen to the average new keeper (me??)?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A quick google yielded odds ranging from 1 in 6 million, to 1 in 25 million for "death by bee sting". Others: fireworks - 1 in 50 million. Vending machine - 1 in 112 million. So you're at least FOUR TIMES more likely to be killed by a BEE STING than by a VENDING MACHINE! ( I don't think that counts the stuff you get out of them, in which case it'd prolly be the other way around.

Seriously, my condolences..

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
This will probably get big in our news here in Yuba (because there isn't anything better to talk about) so how do I combat negative press people try and spread my way about this??

My parents still aren't sold on the whole beekeeping thing, and things like this won't help…
IMO - as long as you only have localized reactions to bee stings, just make sure you get popped once in a while to allow your body to stay ok with it. It is when you build up tolerances like this that you don't have to worry. People that run from getting stung constantly or suit up to the hilts and never get stung but handle the clothing with bee venom on it has this type of problem.

Michael Palmer has a video on Youtube about the importance of getting stung. Here it is...

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Northern Utah bee keeper was stung 30 to 40 times and passed away. She reportedly had vail and gloves on. With all things there are risks. Has this happened very often among beekeepers? Makes me think twice about having the hives in my yard with kids. Not a bad idea to always suit up.
Happened to me just yesterday. :)

Sorry. Seriously though, this is a rare occurance. And the number of stings may have had nothing to do w/ her dying. She may have gotten most of those stings after she fell to the ground. Most likely did.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

Your reply should be. "It's a shame. I feel sorry for her family's loss. It's a rare thing to happen." And leave it at that. You can't alleviate all fear. Some people feel secure in their fear.

·
Registered
850 Posts
very sad for her and her family. As one who went through an bee sting allergy shot regimen for 4 years, i always carry an epi pen- but this sounded like a delayed reaction which is worrisome, although I have heard similar stories. Also noted, no smoker? Hindsight is always 20/20, but I wonder if that could have helped to calm what the news is describing as a queenless and nasty colony.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Not only will it become big news but people from 100's of miles around will be spraying any swarms they see with Raid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts