Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all,

I found a couple of lizards under the lid tonight!
Interesting.
FYI, not a langstroth hive, its a deep horizontal hive, with a tin sheet on top of the top bars and a piece of plywood on top of that.

Here's a thermal image of the top bars without the tin sheet or plywood. I figure the lizards like the warmth.
lizards.jpg

-Thomas

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I know you've posted this a while back, I have anole lizards on just about every hive I keep. They may catch a few bees but not enough to hurt. I think they catch a lot of ants and probably wax moths that are spending time under the hive tops or on the side of the hive. I just have to be careful not to mash the lizards when I'm removing the tops for inspections. I think they like the warmth from the bees too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had some hives near a small stream. I would often find green tree frogs under the lid edges. I was already a little anxious of the bees, I'd nearly have a heart attack when one of these frogs jumped as I opening the hives.
I have no idea if they ever ate any bees, but I was hopeful they would eat moths. They sure didn't make any impact on the small hive beetles. Tree frog.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have six hives. All six seem to have a resident lizard (or two). I have watched them but have never seen one snatch a bee. I'm hoping they snatch SHB's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts