Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Humm,

Looks like poop to me, but from what? They are little brown black pellets, the size of a #2 pencil lead, with a knerrled look to them (like the back of an alligators tail)

What is it?

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
475 Posts
Maybe dried pollen that they are ejecting from the comb. Did you reuse some frames that still had some pollen stores in them?
I saw a lot of that when I reused some frames from a dead hive in the spring. Thought they would use the pollen stores but they just threw them out all over the landing board.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Humm, I was just in there last week, and I did not notice any webs or larva. HOWEVER, I did find a small moth in a beetle trap I had installed.

Ok, if they are there, they are hiding well. How do I find the little buggers?

Best way to eliminate?

Don't the bees get rid of them?

Thanks,

MP

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
It's usually an indication of a failing hive. The bees remove them if their population is strong. They will become overwhelmed by wax moths if the bee population is crashing. Pull the affected frames in put them in the freezer to kill of the wax moths larva then reinstall the frame in a hive that's strong enough to defend itself. They'll clean out the webs and dead wax moth larva. You may need to shink the size of the hive to better fit the population. This may require that you remove a hive body or even put the hive in a nuc.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If you have a SBB, in a few days (maybe couple of weeks) I'll bet you'll see a dead wax worm on you sticky board. However, as Michael Bush pointed out, you may have other, more serious problem(s).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I lost 3 hives to wax moth larvae this spring in the 2 weeks between inspections. Saved a 4th by taking off honey super and top body then checking frames in last body. it did come back somewhat but may be lost before summer is over. If an established hive swarms it is vulnerable!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts