Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Little Black Bugs ... FYI

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BenjaminM 
#1 ·
Little Black Bugs

These bugs look like half-pint solid black Ladybugs.
A Beekeeper told me he has a problem with them in his hives.

I have had a problem with them in my hair: poisons didn’t work. I found an easy cure in my second attempt to rid myself of them: alcohol. I washed my hair in rubbing alcohol, and I have never been bothered by them again!

I contracted them doing construction work when I was pulling down a ceiling in Shickshinny, PA.

A friend of mine tried to rid himself of them for five years with no success. He phoned me out of desperation from VA and I gave him the cure.

I wanted to tell the beekeeping community about this cure to prevent the use of poisons that might leach into the honey.

The alcohol will evaporate from the hives without leaving a residue: the poisons will not.

My eye doctor informed me about the problem he was having with these bugs in his Beehives. I gave him the cure but he dismissed me, and my ideas without any thought.

I felt that I had to tell somebody!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Bessource!

While washing your hair with alcohol likely does kill "bugs" without any harm to a human head, the same cannot be said about using alcohol to wash the inside of a hive. Remember honey bees are "bugs"!!

Contact with liquid alcohol and a bee's body is likely to result in a dead bee.
I wonder about growing using the red rhododendron shrubs around the hives. I always wanted a spot of mad honey in my tea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.