Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Re: Lithium Chloride for Varroa

Thanks for sharing. Funny how a certain amount of scientific discovery happens by accident.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts

EXPOSURE AND TOXICITY: weakness, prostration, vertigo, chromosomal breaks, gaps and satellite associations, anorexia, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, tremor of the hands, faintness of musculature, thirst, leukocytosis, and concentration and memory disturbances (especially with older people), fasciculations, muscle contractions, hyperreflexia and hypertonia, drowsiness, confusion, sometimes epileptiform insults, hypotension, coma, collapse. Independent of the plasma level, changes can occur in the ECG and in the EEC, with symptoms such as polyuria and polydipsia, seldom nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, ulcers of the leg, enhancement of acne and psoriasis, transient hyperglycemia, pruritus, and a metal taste and tinnitus

·
Registered
179 Posts

Lithium Chloride. Is that a particularly dangerous compound to be handling?
Lithium is used therapeutically for treatment of psychiatric disorders such as bipolar. My mother was on it for years. It is given in very low doses and monitored closely because it is poisonous. Handling it for treatment of bees would not be particular dangerous unless you drank it or somehow created lots of inhalable dust for some reason. The mechanism of the most efficacious way to apply it to a bee colony hasn't been worked out yet so it isn't clear how a beekeeper would be handling it. It probably would not be dangerous though. But they do need to find a way to treat bees so that it doesn't end up in the honey. To me that would be the big issue.

·
Registered
764 Posts

That is so cool... Keeping fingers crossed

Noticing Lithium Chloride is relatively cheap to buy online too...

·
Registered
259 Posts

Can someone with a chemistry background solve the following for me ( from the article).

How much lithium chloride to how much sugar water to achieve : single application of only 10 μl of LiCl in a 25 mM solution.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts

there is very nice converstation going on here yet we have strayed once again from the topic at hand (lithium chloride in this case) to debating the merits or lack thereof of treating vs. not treating for mites.

the discussion is good and it's nice to see it being done with civility and respect but i can see how it might be frustrating to a reader looking to read up on lithium chloride (or any myriad of topics in other threads) and finding the thread derailed by this age old debate.

so for the sake of keeping discussions true to the title and the opening post i am going to start a thread in the main bee forum created for the expressed purpose of debating treating vs. not treating.

let's get back to lithium chloride here please.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts

Can someone with a chemistry background solve the following for me ( from the article).

How much lithium chloride to how much sugar water to achieve : single application of only 10 μl of LiCl in a 25 mM solution.
Until basic safety is addressed, it would be irresponsible to promote a dosage (which only requires basic high school chemistry). Let the science proceed with safety trials before dosing your hives.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Sorry for my part in the derail cause I am interested in keeping up with whatever advances or set back are made with the subject matter of the thread.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
314 Posts
It is a lot to read and pretty small print but I tried. As far as I could tell it does not treat the mites in the cells? Is that correct? If so it is still a big step forward.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
MichiganMike. Correct, it only kills phoretic mites because it works systemically. The bee must ingest the Li for it to work on the mites. Also note that chronic exposure results in bee mortality. The theraputic treatment of 25mM in a single application followed by plain syrup seemed to have no detrimental effects. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a bag quite yet, but it sure does look promising.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This looks very promising. The bee death was seen in continuous long-term exposure. I'm wondering if they have started running trials on intermittent treatment designed around the mite lifestyle. 2-3 doses, if dosing is not too labor intensive, would be worth it to save hives.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts