Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen this for the first time in the Brushy Mountain catalog last night. Does anyone use this? Is it just a gimick?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have no experience with it, but it reminds me of an aerosol smoke that used to be sold in the 1970's, or thereabouts. Idea was you simply sprayed the "smoke" and it calmed the bees. It was convenient, but didn't really work all that well, and was more expensive than a regular smoker. I've read that some beeks use HBH in a sugar syrup spray to calm their bees. Don't know about that either. I'm too cheap to use anything but smoke. :shhhh:
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I just placed an order from Brushy Mtn. yesterday and included 2 tubes of this product. I thought it may be worth a try - I have some out yards in CRP. It always makes me nervous playing with fire in that thick, tall grassland; all I need is to start a prairie fire. Also I remember the one time I thought my smoker was extinguished and completely smoked up the interior of my Blazer. At least I was using hickory pellets and it smelled a little like bacon being processed... well, sort of. I'll let you know in a few months if it works.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've used it and have found it handy for quick inspections. A little goes along way. It's also handy if it's a bit breezy.
I still fire up the smoker if I'm going to do a lot of manipulation.
According to 'Beekeeping for Dummies' it'll stop a robbing frenzy instantly but I've not had the occasion to try it for that yet.
Thankfully.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The liquid smoke for smoking meats does work to a degree, but its just one more thing to pack around, I've got some somewhere.

:lookout: PCM

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Real smoke is preferential, but during fire season for some locations, liquid smoke works well enough and is a definite peace of mind. Some land owners are very particular about fire risk for good reason. Hickory or mesquite from the grocery store works just fine when diluted.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Same experience as Michael. Its kind of like Fisher Bee Quick - it kind of works but not nearly as effective as butyric. I have considered spraying some on a cloth and then setting brood boxes on top for frame manipulations. Butyric is too strong but liquid smoke may be just strong enough to prevent the bees from clustering on the bottom of boxes and then getting crushed when placed back on top of another box.
I think if I was concerned about fire hazards I would keep a tin box or ammo box handy and be certain to top off the smoker with a little wet grass to act as a filter by holding back any embers. When you set the smoker down it could be placed into a tin box or ammo box. I use an ammo box because they seal hermetically and therefore extinguish the smoker without stinking up the truck.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>A lot of people are using water mist instead of smoke. Some with a bit of apple cider vinegar. I've never done it myself, but many do and argue that it works as well as smoke.

I always wonder if the people who think this is as effective ever mastered using smoke properly. Smoke should be cool, not a flame thrower, should be used judiciously, not filling the whole hive. If used judiciously I have never seen anything (and I've tried them all) work as well as smoke.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
...If used judiciously I have never seen anything (and I've tried them all) work as well as smoke.
Interesting. I have read about the use of water as I mentioned, and of course I was intrigued, as it would be a lot easier.

But I just can't bring myself to switch. The smoker has always been a part of beekeeping as I know it, and it works. Some proponents of water will argue that smoke is so tough on the bees. But I don't get that sense. - unless, as you say, you over use it. And you can tell when you've gone too far.

Adam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts