Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm using coates nuc plans for 5 frame and 2 frame nucs. Using plywood. Was thinking about using two coats of liquid rubber and a coat of latex paint. I'm adding a vent- hole in the back. I don't have access to a dipping tank and the cost of wax is pretty steep. A 5 gal bucket of Ames blue max liquid rubber is around $166. Anyone one else have experience doing this?

·
Registered
949 Posts
With the cheap cost of mis-tints at name paint stores($5-8 gal) I hardly think it's worth the cost.The cut edges of cdx is worth coating with titebond glue.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Rubber coating on wood might not be a good thing. Moisture can travel through the wood and may push the rubber loose or trap moisture underneath. Far too expensive to protect bee boxes.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good grief. Prime it and then put on whatever exterior grade mistint the Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore paint store had. It will last 15 years if you do that.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
If you are not $$ challenged try some. I would think the bottom boards, bottoms and sides would be nice to have rubber coated. coating the corner 2 inches could be nice. Lids also Be nice to have rubberized.

Bees for me is "what" do i spend on,, not should I spend. :) It may be over Kill , but what is a flow hive?....
If you try it let us know how it worked.
GG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts