Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Large leaf basswood is already blooming and small leaf linden is kind of starting/ few days away from it.

I was wondering if it will be a good harvest considering lack of rain?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Large leaf basswood is already blooming and small leaf linden is kind of starting/ few days away from it.

I was wondering if it will be a good harvest considering lack of rain?
It is only for you to find out.
It is a very local thing.
Basswoods are very finicky about who knows what.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Lindens in my area are done already. It has been perfect weather for foraging this spring. It rains at least once a week but sunny the rest of the time. I pulled almost 90 lbs of honey off one of my hives already. Not sure that it was the lindens since there has been a lot of everything blooming here: lindens, maples, dandelions, dutch clover, tulip trees, apples, cherries, pears, privet, blackberries, etc.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Linden just started here. I hope it is good because there was zero locust, late frost took out every blossom. Looking to be clover & linden only for me.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I had scales under my hives the last few years. It looks like the schedule in my part of Hudson Valley, NY is something like:

March/April: some pollen, almost enough nectar to break even but not quite, stuff like skunk cabbage and maple blooming

May 7 -- June 1: main flow, mostly russian olive or autumn olive (I don't know the difference), watery clear nectar

June 1 -- July 1: kind of break even, with yellow sweet clover, white clover, some trees, some wild berry bushes

July 4-ish: freaky strong and short flow, no idea what it is but it hits hard and fast, theories include linden and alfalfa farms *shrug*

late July / early August: kind of break even on asters and random stuff

late August: decent flow, stinky goldenrod, milkweed, strong dark honey

September: kind of break even on asters and stuff

So it seems like there's no real "dearth" here where you'd need to feed the bees, just break-even periods between sporadic flows. I don't know much about the tree flows because I can't see the bees up there. It's much easier to notice them down near the ground.

·
Registered
757 Posts
A few links on Basswood/linden blooms

http://bees.msu.edu/basswood/

https://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/trees-leaf-out-different-times

I put in the last link because of something I have noticed. In some forests I have noticed that basswood trees seem to bloom at different times over a period of a month or so. I am making an assumption that the trees are probably all related and not a diverse collection of species because that would seem to be something that was planned out or manipulated. Haven't really looked at why this seems to be the case. Could be age of trees and position in the woods or soil type and water availability. You would think that water amounts are the same until you consider swamp edge vs hilltop on sand and gravel.

Regardless, I have some locations in mind for future bee yards that have a lot of basswood trees close by.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have always assumed I have many lindens around me. When googling for big leaf/small leaf linden I found images of Catalpa and they look almost alike. Can anyone explain how to tell the difference? The trees I have in the area make large masses of white flowers that look alot like Lilly of the Valley.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I've never thought they looked similar, especially when blooming, and I'm not the kind of person who can tell different kinds of oaks apart.

Catalpas have huge smooth heart-shaped leaves and solid flowers that are upright, above the stem.

Lindens have medium-sized leaves that are slightly serrated and small "frilly" flowers that hang down, below the stem.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can tell by the smell. If it smells like heaven 100 yards downwind, then it is linden :) I can't tell the same about basswood, they are not as fragrant, it seems.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I will take some pictures later today. I'm leaning toward Catalpa. Leaf pictures online look very similar. The white flowers are what makes me think not Linden.

They are all over & blooming right now. I had never heard of Catalpa before yesterday.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Looks like Catalpa to me. Some folks call them Kataba.
The nectar has a high water content, but makes good honey.

Alex

1 - 20 of 32 Posts