Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bees are producing a very light color of honey this year. I've been doing this for a number of years now and this is the lightest by far. I think the locust bloom was strong but that's been over for a while but it still seems very light. Lot of rain up until about 2 weeks ago. Very wet June. I am in central IL. What may be causing this?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, we have taken some very nice light honey here in the Bluegrass. I think that the large amount of rain has encouraged a lot of white clover all around us. It also has discouraged a lot of home owners (we live and operate surrounded by large houses and lawns) to delay mowing sometimes this year. This weather has surprised us in other ways. We use modified Arheit (see Honeyrunapiaries) inner covers that we turn around in the winter to give room for the Mountain Camp method sugar. Well, our bees seem to have not been very impressed by the wet weather as they filled each one with wild and deep cell banks and presented us with a large amount of honey that we did not bank on. It took some learning to do the crush and strain method but it worked. They also came through the winter very powerful and had dispensed with the sugar and its paper completely. These bees will teach us something new as long as we are around and are willing to learn. Take care and have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts