Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a nuc that went queenless after I installed it so I got a new marked queen and installed it. I checked a week or so later and found an unmarked queen so I must have missed the queen cell. One thing I noticed on the last inspection is that some of the bees are almost completely yellow, very light and not much black striping, I'm guessing that these are the bees emerging from the new queen, is this normal for the bees to be this color?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The "Cordovan" morph of Italian bees. It is a simple, recessive color trait. As a single alllele recessive trait, it is an indicator of inbreeding, but the color morph is also prized. I have numerous hives with very rapid brood expansion with that color trait. They make a good marker for parentage in open breeding systems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The queen seems to be laying very well, several of the frames in brood chamber are almost solid with capped brood and larvae.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also, I've had very young bees that are a soft golden color develop more prominent banding and darken with age.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The bees I bought out of Oklahoma are really gold like brite yellow with gold queens . Real pretty . My Arkansas bees are more black but have really pretty gold queens . So maybe its a okie thing .

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Nope, their color will never darken as they aged. They have the recessive gene.
You mean this color type queens? Blond/reddish yellow! Yellow all the way to her end.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts