Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do those $5 cardboard nuc boxes from mann lake last. Especially left outside in the rain in florida humidty. Is there a better, cheaper source. Thanks

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
You reminded me to look up cardboard nuc boxes. I just received two nucs in boxes identical to what I see on the Mann Lake page:

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/product/NB-250.html

Notes on ours say they were put in service on 4/24. We picked them up on 5/6. They've been in an outdoor nuc yard with a fair amount of rain. The lids were getting slightly soggy, but otherwise they seemed to be doing pretty well for cardboard. The outer surface is some kind of shiny water repellant.

But I don't like them. They have a pattern of a few small holes on either end, plus the entrance hole. Ours had that same yellow Caplug to seal them up. According to the nuc seller, who wants you to pick your nucs up at sunset, once these are plugged the ventillation is so poor that it is dangerous to transport your bees in daytime.

When I picked mine up, water ran down from under the cover, so I think they collect condensation like crazy, on the inside of the lid which is not waterproof.

In my opinion, with that plastic plug they're death traps for bees due to almost zero ventilation. I wound up tossing the yellow plug and taping 1/8" hardware cloth over the entrance. I'm going to keep mine for swarms, etc, but will punch ventilation holes and glue in some screen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts