Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a beautiful day with the temp rising to 72. Had honey in my bottling tank for a couple of days. Have already bottled some this afternoon. The temp has now dropped into the 40's. Was in my honey house to bottle a gallon jug and took the lid off to take a look. The lid was soaked with sweat. I had looked in the tank this afternoon and it was fine.
Has anyone else had trouble with this. What should I do? Have to keep the heat on inside the honey house? I had trouble with this earlier in the winter so I left the heat on or propped open the lid just a little.
Can you keep these tanks on in a cool room without problems?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Since honey is hygroscopic, I doubt the water is coming out of your cured honey. If the lid is kept tight shut, the condensation is from the relative humidity in the air. If the lid is kept shut, how can enough water be available to condense to cause a real problem? At most the volume in the air is 5% water. It is good to be fastidious but methinks you worry too much.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Our tanks do this also. We keep a folded quilt on top of ours to insulate the lid.

Johnny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts