Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all....

I'm curious about splitting hives. I have a very old, very strong hive that it bursting with bees & babies of all stages. It is 2 deeps. 2 wks ago I had a pretty full top box, and a pretty empty bottom box. I checkerboarded.

Check back now and things are SLAMMED. I mean packed. I supered to give them some space.

Is it bad to have too many bees? Should it fill up this fast? This is my second year beekeeping and this hive was super productive last year. But this is uncanny fast and I'm worried about getting behind and having a swarm.

Maybe I should split it? I want more bees but I really don't want to have no honey this year. I bought two package bees and got them yesterday...

Any advice?? Paleeezze??

Y'all are the best... Elizabeth

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>I'm curious about splitting hives.

>Is it bad to have too many bees?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm

No. But it's bad to let them get that populated and that crowded.

> Should it fill up this fast?

When bees take off in the spring it can be very explosive.

> This is my second year beekeeping and this hive was super productive last year. But this is uncanny fast and I'm worried about getting behind and having a swarm.

You already got behind if they are that full and they were planning to swarm since last winter. If you don't do something to keep the brood nest open, they will most likely swarm.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

·
Registered
812 Posts
I split a hive three weeks ago. The main hive got checkerboarded with a spare deep with drawn comb. Yesterday when I checked it again, both boxes were full of bees with brood in both deeps. So I split again. Giving the original another deep with drawn comb. The splits without the queen got an extra deep with all drawn comb and about 50% honey. The first split has already raised their queen (2 queen cells verified 8 days after split).

Supers go on in two weeks.

Two other hives are still doing their initial buildup. Boomers are a lot more fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts