Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Looking into liability insurance , has anyone used this company http://beekeepingins.com/ . I was guoted a price of $500 a year , it would cover honey sales, bodily injury ,property damage, products related to beekeeping operations and liability for any location the hives are placed, we currently have 30 hives at home and in two other locations , we sell honey at a honey stand out front of our house and farm markets , I don' t think this price sounds too bad what do you all think ? Thanks Chet

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have Country Mutual Insurance (Farm Bureau) and I had a liability rider added for honey sales for about $20 a year. This won't cover me if someone sues me for being stung, but if they claim they got sick from my honey it will. I would check with your current homeowner's insurance first.

·
Registered
909 Posts
To sell at our farmers market they require we carry a million dollar product liability insurance. We bought ours from State Farm around $300

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Doesn't seem like $500/yr. is too bad, but it depends on what it covers. I'm paying a little over twice that a year. I think that a good part of the cost of the liability is related to the total dollar value of product sales, the more you sell the more the insurance costs.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
To sell at our farmers market they require we carry a million dollar product liability insurance. We bought ours from State Farm around $300
Yep. Mine's from State Farm and about that as well. It is specific to the business and is not part of a homeowner rider. I sell only from an honor stand but I made the business an LLC as asset firewall. The insurance for the LLC creates an additional firewall that insulates personal assets should legalities kick up. It's not required to do business but I see it as a wise investment to avoid issues.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
has anyone used this company http://beekeepingins.com/ . I t
I haven't used them, and I don't want to sound hypercritical, but their website looks like a 7th grader made it. Doesn't exactly instill the confidence of a million dollar liability insurance backer. Just my two cents.

I have 2 million in liability from texins.com. Covers product, as well as stings at yards and cut outs. $500/year
They gave me the same quote about two years ago. Their actual website is http://www.txins.com/commercial-insurance/beekeepers

Didn't seem like a bargain, but didn't seem like a rip off either.

Ultimately, I didn't sign up once I read the fine print. Their policy covered $2M in aggregate damage, $1M for property damage, $1M for personal injury, a $5,000 cap on medical expenses per person. I had a hard time imagining a situation where someone would sue for injury, have only $4,000 of medical expenses, but claim "lost wages" or "pain and suffering" equal to $1M. Possible, just not likely. The quote also came in at $500, but there was a policy fee of $150 and an "additional line" tax of $25, making the total annual cost $675. In the end, I decided the cost was greater than the benefit I was going to get, compared to where my business is at this point.

When I bought my home, I notified my homeowner's insurance agent (State Farm) that I sold honey from my house and had bees. He suggested I increase my personal injury insurance to $600k. I think it cost me another $40 a year. That covers stings, which I'm not sure I would actually be liable for anyway, as well as trips and falls. I'm not covered for product liability, but its a risk I'm willing to take at this point in time.

I sell only from an honor stand but I made the business an LLC as asset firewall. The insurance for the LLC creates an additional firewall that insulates personal assets should legalities kick up. It's not required to do business but I see it as a wise investment to avoid issues.
A common misconception.

Keep in mind if you are selling items, even from a farm stand, the LLC can be sued AND the individual that performs specific acts. For example, if someone gets sick from honey and wants to claim the honey was bottled in unsanitary conditions, or there was a foreign item that made it into the honey, who would they sue? Probably the LLC that the honey was sold from AND the person that acted negligently in bottling the honey, namely you individually.

There are probably very few actions that are corporate actions taken by the LLC that were not done individually by its owner as well. At least from a creatively drafted complaint's standpoint. If you have an LLC, and both you and the LLC get sued, you could be stuck defending both. You could also get stuck paying the deductible on both, first on the LLC side and second on your individual side. Keeping the LLC insurance and your personal insurance with the same company may prevent that, although I'm not too certain about that.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
And you are basing this assertion on?
My law license.

Is there case law precedent where this actually happened...
Happens every day. In fact, a basic google search will give you much of the examples you're looking for. For example:

No LLC or other legal business structure provides absolute protection for its owners from liabilities that may occur in connection with business operations. An LLC owner will be personally liable for his conduct that constitutes fraud or is illegal regardless of whether it is done in the context of operating his LLC's business. Similarly, an LLC owner who acts recklessly or negligently, such as being at fault in an auto accident while driving on company business, is liable for the property and personal injuries resulting from the accident.
Source: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-owner-llc-sued-personally-55009.html

Not the most reputable source, but something I found in 15 seconds.

District and Superior Court Cases aren't electronic, and thus not part of "case law precedent" unless elected to be published. Thus, probably 99% of the cases you're looking for can't be found unless you go county by county and search paper filings (of which NC is not digital, with the exception of the Business Court).

to a beekeeper who sold honey from their farm stand?
Hahahaha, you're kidding, right? According to Lexis there is only ONE published case in North Carolina history that says the word "beekeeper" (State v. McGriff, 228 N.C. App. 569). There is not a single North Carolina published case that says the words "farm stand." Eight cases use the word "honeybee" or "honey bee" (two of which are 1800's cases arguing over nonsense).

If the law was that clear, most attorneys wouldn't have jobs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to a bee club meeting where a Country agent came and spoke about insurance for beekeepers. He said every company was different and that likely they would add a rider on your homeowner policy for a small amount. He said it was best to ask, which I did. Unfortunately the State Farm higher-up my agent had on the phone reacted to the words "bee keeper" about the same as a TSA agent would if you asked how large of a bomb you could bring aboard your carryon luggage. They told me they don't have anything to do with beekeeping, and that since he now knew, it was a non-renew situation. I had just renewed my farm policy for the year, so at least I had a year to shop around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Before everyone gets scared, what he is referring to is piercing the veil of a corporation. It is hard to pierce the veil by getting someone sick from honey. It is another story if you are using your farm business to funnel money, commit fraud, or other aspect. The most successful at piercing the veil is the IRS, go figure. So, is your business an added bonus for separation, yes. Who says? My CPA and Real Estate Attorney. But, read about it on wikipedia. Yes, I know wikipedia is not the best source but having a Ph.D., I know most of us who are knowledgeable on topics try to keep it accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piercing_the_corporate_veil

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.