Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few options, what are some others, and what works for you.
What has failed for you?
Also please explian your method.

1) PARA-MOTH
Active ingredient: PARADICHLOROBENZENE 100%

2) Generic Moth Crystals
Active ingredient: PARADICHLOROBENZENE 99.6%
Inert ingredients: (no name specified) 0.4%

3) Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt)

4) Open Air Cold Storage

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Stack 'em on warehouse pallets and cover w/ a tarp, add another pallet so the wind won't blow the top tier off and there ya go. Ready for winter.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Ravenseye, have you tried just the cold barn and not the BT? I live south of you and have nver used BT and never had wax moth in supers not on hives over winter. I'm all for doing what is necassary and no more, if it works.

How did you get started using BT?

·
Registered
102 Posts
North Dakota winter and a big barn!

No pesticide what so ever, store about 15,000 supers every year, and have never had a problem. They do all get put out over the summer when wax moths are buzzing about however.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Wax moths generally don't bother light combs in honey supers. If you are storing dark combs while the weather is still warm, the moths will go for them.

If you wait until after a hard frost to put your supers into storage, moths won't be much of a problem.

I use BT on my combs if I put them into storage in warm weather. I mix two teaspoons of BT powder with each gallon of water in a clean fruit tree sprayer. (I bought a new sprayer that I only use for BT and spraying sugar syrup, so I don't have to worry about chemical residue contamination from the sprayer.) I lightly mist each side of the combs, stick them in the box, and stack them up. I have found a few frames where a wax moth larva started tunneling into the comb, but died before its tunnel was an inch long. That is the extent of wax moth damage to BT treated combs that I have had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts