Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Which Hive is Queen-Less

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT. 2nd set of pics, There should be a queen now in the queenless hive. If it seems to be obvious to you write out your reasonin if you want. I still can't tell and wont be i the hive till next Sunday to make sure

Thought this would be funny since I have heard people saying that they can tell by the wings on the bees at the entrance.
I will post 2 photos taken this morning. One hive is Queen-less and the other is Queen-Right.
June 24th, also at 5:15am more pics with flash, you all are lucky they are nice bees

ANSWER WILL BE POSTED TONIGHT (wed)

1)
IMG_20200623_050723394[1].jpg

2)
IMG_20200623_050728214[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would only venture a guess that the one with more bees is queenright just because there's more bees, but otherwise I couldn't tell from how the bees look...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I voted 2 because everyone knows that when a hive becomes queenless the bees paint a circular white dot over the entrance. Once queenright, she comes out and paints over it with a black square.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,297 Posts
I would vote #2 also just because there appear to be more bees hanging around with nothing to do. Queenless colonies seem to lose a little motivation.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want us to tell by looking at the wings you need to give us a clearer picture.
That's about as close as I could get at 5:15am without pissing someone off. Would be pretty embarrassing to walk into work in my scrubs with a stung face 😂

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks like bees in #2 are washboarding and in #1 more of a cluster. I guess #1 is queenless.
I don't know... Why would they cluster if they have nothing to cluster around? I agree with other posters that #2 is queenless as they seem less organized, facing every way.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I voted one because what self-respecting woman wants to live in a house with knotty wood.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I voted one because what self-respecting woman wants to live in a house with knotty wood.
I like knotty wood on some things, plus I'm cheap- ya i know what woman Ever says that
I will post another picture, again taken this morning at 5:15 am

They both seem the same to me which is why I thought this would be fun.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ANSWER *******************

#1, black Rectangle is the Queen-less one

the white circle is the original queen.
Thanks for playing :)

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Which basically confirmed - no visual clue really can tell which is which.
Especially so if the queen-less hive is not really feeling it is queen-less - i.e. it is in a process of making the new queen or having some queen substitute in place.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,297 Posts
Had me fooled. Might have helped if the pi,ctures had more resolution, but maybe not. I do not look at wings so much as hive behavior which is difficult to capture in a still shot.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going to do a video but by the time i get home from work, 3:15 pm, they are all doing their " let's all fly around the entrance to freak out Linda " thing.
And i only have a cell phone so pics/video are not perfect.

I too wondered if having QC makes a difference, but honestly they were even more calm a day after the split just doing what they normally do.
I tried to listen for the roaring sound but they didnt seem too much louder that was noticable either.

I can post pics from right after the split if anyonewants to see but they are not close ups.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts