Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Which Hive is Queen-Less

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT. 2nd set of pics, There should be a queen now in the queenless hive. If it seems to be obvious to you write out your reasonin if you want. I still can't tell and wont be i the hive till next Sunday to make sure

Thought this would be funny since I have heard people saying that they can tell by the wings on the bees at the entrance.
I will post 2 photos taken this morning. One hive is Queen-less and the other is Queen-Right.
June 24th, also at 5:15am more pics with flash, you all are lucky they are nice bees

ANSWER WILL BE POSTED TONIGHT (wed)

1)
Bee Honeybee Beehive Birdhouse Insect

2)
Bee Honeybee Beehive Insect Membrane-winged insect

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would only venture a guess that the one with more bees is queenright just because there's more bees, but otherwise I couldn't tell from how the bees look...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I voted 2 because everyone knows that when a hive becomes queenless the bees paint a circular white dot over the entrance. Once queenright, she comes out and paints over it with a black square.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
I would vote #2 also just because there appear to be more bees hanging around with nothing to do. Queenless colonies seem to lose a little motivation.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want us to tell by looking at the wings you need to give us a clearer picture.
That's about as close as I could get at 5:15am without pissing someone off. Would be pretty embarrassing to walk into work in my scrubs with a stung face 😂

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks like bees in #2 are washboarding and in #1 more of a cluster. I guess #1 is queenless.
I don't know... Why would they cluster if they have nothing to cluster around? I agree with other posters that #2 is queenless as they seem less organized, facing every way.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I voted one because what self-respecting woman wants to live in a house with knotty wood.
I like knotty wood on some things, plus I'm cheap- ya i know what woman Ever says that
I will post another picture, again taken this morning at 5:15 am

They both seem the same to me which is why I thought this would be fun.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ANSWER *******************

#1, black Rectangle is the Queen-less one

the white circle is the original queen.
Thanks for playing :)

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Which basically confirmed - no visual clue really can tell which is which.
Especially so if the queen-less hive is not really feeling it is queen-less - i.e. it is in a process of making the new queen or having some queen substitute in place.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Had me fooled. Might have helped if the pi,ctures had more resolution, but maybe not. I do not look at wings so much as hive behavior which is difficult to capture in a still shot.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was going to do a video but by the time i get home from work, 3:15 pm, they are all doing their " let's all fly around the entrance to freak out Linda " thing.
And i only have a cell phone so pics/video are not perfect.

I too wondered if having QC makes a difference, but honestly they were even more calm a day after the split just doing what they normally do.
I tried to listen for the roaring sound but they didnt seem too much louder that was noticable either.

I can post pics from right after the split if anyonewants to see but they are not close ups.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts