Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bee watcher. At least every other day I sit, sometimes in the morning sometimes in the evening and watch my bees.

I have been working a second job over the last two weeks and it is keeping me away from the hives (2). This evening I had a chance to sit with them and noticed something that I thought was unusual.

It was 7:30-7:45 PM, about 45 minutes of daylight left. Temp was 80 but was unusually non-humid which made it feel a little cooler.

One hive was moderately active, occasional pollen coming in with a few bees washboarding on the front porch and a bit of activity around the opening.

The other hive however had about 20 or so bees just standing on the front porch around the entrance hole, an occasional worker would come in every 20- 30 seconds and one or two of the girls would check her out as she went past, only 1 or 2 of the girls were washboarding (very slowly). Just a general look of lethargic behaviour, I would gently nudge them and they would placidly move but they just would not get moving or get busy.

I am wondering if they were just getting ready to shut down for the night or if there is something more going on?

I am going to open the hives at the latest this Saturday, hopefully sooner. I am not feeding any pollen or pollen substitute so perhaps they are getting low? When I last checked them (10 days ago) all was fine, saw the Queen, new eggs, moved the two outer frames (the only ones not filled) more toward the center. I added more sugar water and a second super at that time.

Just stumped at this bee-haviour. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Opened the hive, found Queen, eggs, capped brood, etc. Added more sugar water to feeder.

Still noticing a general trend of this hive to be "lazy". The other hive has lots of activity even on days with drizzling rain, lots of orientation flights, general comings and goings.

Still can't explain it. Considering requeening?

Any suggestions or similiar experience appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im still new but any chance of a mite infection in the hive?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had this type of symptoms happen a few mths ago and i treated them with alil bit of Fumagilan-B in there feed as instructed on the label and they was back into full force within a few days! Just something to look into!

·
Registered
211 Posts
What about Nosema? I had a hive last summer that was really sluggish and reluctant to take feed. There were a good number of bees in the hive, but not much activity at all. Fumigilin-B is used for treatment...that is if you treat. There is, supposedly, a more natural way to treat Nosema, but I don't recall what.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215806

Maybe this thread will help?

Wishing you the best, Selena

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I would requeen it, but I'm one of those who tries to stay away from putting anything much more than sugar water in my hives or pollen patties.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Why are you feeding syrup at this time?

I would think that since the other hive is bringing in pollen, that that wouldn't be a problem for the one you asked of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts