Went today to a new bee yard with a 5 super hive to split and a 79lb birdhouse to cut out. Wanted to do the split first then the birdhouse, ended up the property owners daughter and granddaughter were there today also and wanted to see the bees. Everyone got their gear on and I went through the boxes frame by frame explaining what I was doing. Next thing you know more time has passed than I had planned, the sun was up and I was a little concerned about the birdhouse sitting in the back of the truck. When I went to check them out, obvious something was wrong. Muted humming, dead bees at entrance...immediately took to hives and opened the screen I had stapled on the front. Turns out I lost more than half the hive, never saw the queen. Was able to save 6 frames of brood/eggs though and put with another hive thats queenless so we'll see. It was only in the 60's today and it's the first nice day we've had in a while so I let my guard down. I need to remember a hive full of bees (I closed up at 8a hoping to get all foragers) and a little bit of direct sun can heat up very quickly.