Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had one of those "boy do I feel really stupid" moments. When I made my cutdown splits over a week ago, I put all of the honey stores with the new hives, as per Michael Bush's recommendation. I thought that my new hives' populations were too small to keep all the honey stored with them, as they wouldn't be able to chase off small hive beetle or to finish filling the frames, since there is mainly a nurse bee population in there. So I planned to move the supers back to the parent hives. I thought I should make some of the population that was hanging in those boxes go into the split, to replenish the split population. So I put one of those boxes above a bee escape, on the new split where it had been sitting for the last week plus, to get the bees to go down, with the plan of putting that super back with the parent hive. After 24 hours (today) I went out with the expectation of finding a fairly empty of bees super, but there still were a lot of bees there. So I looked at some frames in it and saw new brood, meaning that the queen was in there! She is a prolific layer, and I guess moved up from the bottom box of the new split. I had made the assumption that this box had only honey in it, just judging by weight, and based upon what it had been a week ago, without looking at it yesterday when I picked it up and put it above the bee escape. That's the lesson learned - check rather than assume! I feel SOOOO dumb! Now my new worry is: did I roll the queen, since I was pulling and returning those frames initially like they were honey frames.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top