Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Popsicle sticks for starter strips in my TBH and I am wondering if I need to glue in multiple sticks into each bar to cover the entire length of the bar? Or is gluing one in the center of the bar sufficient? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Popsicle sticks are not starter strips, they are just comb guides. Pieces of comb or foundation (either plastic or beeswax) are used as "starter strips" because they are the start of honeycombs.

If your TBH is just starting out, I'd be sure to have the guides the entire length of the top bars, even then the bees may not follow them as well as we'd like. After you have straight combs new bars can be placed between straight combs and straight new combs will usually be produced, even without comb guides. The combs on either side of the new top bar will act as the guides.

·
Registered
323 Posts
With LITTLE experence with a TBH. I built one quickly (too many swarms) so far I like the results. Not knowing much at the time; I cut 1 3/8" bars X 19" with a 1/8"+ saw kerf, poured in bee wax, then took a light saw cut to clean-up excess wax. So far the comb is nice and stright with good attachment. I am making a couple more TBH's, but the bars will be 1" wide and with a triangle cut bottom section and use 3/8" spacers.
There is a earlier post "Photos of my TBH", great photos!
Take a good look at the "starter strip", the comb is attached to the strip and the strip is attached to the bar.
My observation is: that strip better be will anchored and of a stout material:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts