Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago my predicament, I am dealing with a Queenless hive. As with any new situation I get myself into I tend to get rather mental (my wife has a different term for my behavior) trying to figure out a solution to my problem. Something I started pondering on today, what if a person was to introduce a touch of lemongrass oil into a queenless hive that had no brood, would it confuse the bees into not becoming a laying worker hive? Not a long term thing, just something to give a person a bit more time to get a new mated queen. Just wondering... as I tend to do.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Different pheromone. There is a product called temp queen that emulates a queen's smell so that might work to keep one from going laying worker for awhile, but wont fix a hive that is already LW. The bees need the smell of open brood, so giving them a frame from another hive is probably best.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Another idea is to stack the queenless hive on top of a queen right hive with a screened board between them. This will allow the queenless hive to smell a queen, but they will not survive forever this way since they have no new bees. Make sure both hives have entrances in different directions.

If you have drones you could also add a frame with some eggs from the queen right hive and let the hive raise a new queen.

Also,
Please add your location.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Something I started pondering on today, what if a person was to introduce a touch of lemongrass oil into a queenless hive that had no brood, would it confuse the bees into not becoming a laying worker hive?

Lemongrass oil simulates Nasonov. What you need is QMP (Queen Mandibular Pheromone). You can buy it as PsuedoQueen or you can over time make your own by "retiring" queens to a jar of alcohol. Lemongrass oil will not make them think they are queenright.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts