Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some people will use lemon scented pledge instead of/in place of lemongrass oil. Does anyone have any experience with this??

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I hope you are joking. You would put furniture polish into a bee hive? Are you nuts?
This is from the Ingredients listing of "Lemon Pledge"

Ingredient: HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM); (ISOPARAFFINIC
HYDROCARBON SOLVENT)
Ingredient Sequence Number: 01
Percent: 20
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: 1002859HN
CAS Number: 64742-48-9
OSHA PEL: N/K (FP N)
ACGIH TLV: N/K (FP N)
-------------------------------------
Proprietary: NO
Ingredient: PROPANE, 2-METHYL-; (ISOBUTANE)
Ingredient Sequence Number: 02
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: TZ4300000
CAS Number: 75-28-5
OSHA PEL: N/K (FP N)
ACGIH TLV: N/K (FP N)
Ingredient: PROPANE
Ingredient Sequence Number: 03
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: TX2275000
CAS Number: 74-98-6
OSHA PEL: 1000 PPM
ACGIH TLV: SIMPLE ASPHYXIANT
Ingredient: BUTANE
Ingredient Sequence Number: 04
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: EJ4200000
CAS Number: 106-97-8
OSHA PEL: 800 PPM
ACGIH TLV: 800 PPM

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would agree with Peter, but I have also heard of people using pledge for this purpose. Its all about what you want to put into your bees. I personally would stick to the real stuff.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I keep a can of lemon pledge next to the rip saw when cutting bee shook.
Lubricates and keeps pitch from building up.
I have been told I am nuts yes.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I hope you are joking. You would put furniture polish into a bee hive? Are you nuts?
This is from the Ingredients listing of "Lemon Pledge"
I wouldn't throw Kn under the bus. He was just asking about something he had heard. It is an old school tatic. Yes it does work, but no I wouldn't use it. For reasons Peter metioned.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
yeah - i thought about it but i never go there - Super Suppliments might even have it - but i bought it from amazon with no shipping -

i put that link incase someone didnt have any local area to go to - but just do yourself a favor and dont use Pledge --

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I would not think of spraying that on my bees...I don't even use it in my house. I use orange oil on furniture. I had heard of some beeks using it and was just curious. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
As long as LGO is so cheap compared to the amount you need, there should be no reason to use anything else unless it's more efficient.

I am a hobbyist, and have bought 10 ml (1/3 oz) that should last for 40-50 swarm-traps/new hives. I doubt I will use it all before it expires.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i don't think i'd put it in hives but when i needed to attract my girls to a new water source (not my neighbors pool) i sprayed lemon pledge into the air and on the grass around the buckets i put water out in.
With in a minute i had bees coming to it and with in a day they had stoped going to the neighbors pool and had taken to the new water sources. i would have tryed the oil but i didn't have any and had pledge in the house

·
Banned
840 Posts
I have seen the pledge trick used similarly to the lemon grass oil trick in that it is not used to coat or treat the wood interior.

Instead, spray some cotton balls with the lemon pledge and the place said cotton balls in a zip lock baggy and poke tiny (smaller than a bee) holes with a fork or toothpick at the "empty" end of the baggie. that allows the scent to be released without the chemicals being permanently applied.

That's the way I've seen it done anyway.

Big Bear

·
Registered
519 Posts
Like Hambone, I probably would not use it, for the reasons listed by peter. But, if I could not get LGO or regular swarm lure, I might, if I was in a bind. But heck, the guy just asked a question. Thats no reason to cut loose the dogs of war on him.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Yes, I have heard of people using a squirt of Lemon Pledge in their swarm traps. It is supposed to last for one month before you need to give the swarm trap another squirt, whereas a couple drops of lemongrass oil should remain effective for 3 months.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Chick. I'm sure Peter just "misunderstood" my question. I read a post by Peter yesterday where he seemed to be pretty misunderstood and was being dogged pretty bad IMO. However, his response to me was very similar to the rude response he received yesterday. (BTW, I'm not a guy) :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
hmmm, wonder how many knock the idea but tried it out and refused to be honest. Just a thought. It sure has alot of bad things listed on the can, I'm glad the mite strips folks use are so much safer................

1 - 20 of 65 Posts