Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it makes a diffrence with the amount of lgo for a trap with a screnned bottom opposed to one without. Also does the temp make a difference? My temps are in the mid 80's and ive been using 8 drops of lgo. I havent caught any swarms.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There is a lot about catching swarms that we only guess at, I use about the same amount LGO and have caught enough swarms to know it does not repel them, how much it attracts them I don't know. I do know that comb does attract them because I have did a personal (small ) study where I would put two boxes (new ones ) side by side and they always went to the one with comb first, I have also tried this with old boxes and new boxes, and they always went to the old box. If I had to leave out either LGO or comb I would have to throw the LGO in the ditch. When I started trying to catch swarms I had almost no luck at all, just read as much as you can and keep trying new things, one day you will be saying "what am I going to do with all these swarms"

·
Super Moderator
11,152 Posts
My suggestion is that you temporarily close off the screen bottom in your trap, then use the recommended 3-4 drops of LGO just added directly onto the wood.

An easy closure if you don't already have one is to cut a piece of cardboard to lay on top of the screen. I believe you will find that less light in a trap will work better than an open screened bottom.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've had 2 swarms land in a couple of dead-out hives in the last 2 weeks and neither had LGO in them, just drawn out frames. I have successfully used LGO before and it seems to help, but I mainly use it to get an active swarm to settle down on a lower branch to make capture easier. I hate when they land 30 feet up in the air, I have a ladder that can get me there, but I'd prefer not to have to go to that extent.

C2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, ill try 3 to 4 drops and close the bottom board. I do have drawn comb from a dead hive last year but it smells like tobacco.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
A frame of dark brood comb that smells will get you more swarms than anything else.

I think alot of the LGO fades away over time. I dip a q tip in LGO the cover it with a small piece of paper towel and put in a snack size zip lock to retain the smell. I can still smell it at the end of summer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I built 1 topbar trap and two langstroth traps, no screened bottoms. I put some old brood comb and lgo in a plastic bag with some holes. I also rubbed some melted beeswax from some of my old comb in the traps. Thanks for all the replies im feeling pretty confident I'll catch a swarm now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I built 5 swarm traps this spring for the first time. I used 10 frame mediums with foundation only. I know the drawn comb would be advantageous...but I also read that if you don't catch a swarm within a week to 10 days, you run a good chance of having wax moth problems. I put a couple drops of lgo on each end of a q-tip, rubbed it around the inside perimeter of the trap and then put it in a snack-size ziplock and left it unzipped and placed it on top of the frames. 1" hole with #4 hardware cloth over it to keep mice and birds out. Can't wait to see if it works!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I mix lgo in hot bees wax. Seems to hold the scent for a good while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts