Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am preparing for the swarm trapping season in my area of central California specifically San Luis Obispo and am wondering what the legal regulations are for hanging swarm traps on state owned land. Obviously I wouldn't hang traps on private property but if there is a nice tree off the side of the highway is it fair game? This seems like a newb question but after looking around trapping journals I've come up with nothing. Should I call the local Ag commissioners office?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have thought the same thing, I think they will shoot you down and talk about liability to the public. That said there sure are some nice looking spots along some state roads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've tried it on land owned my MDC and Ferg is right. Officer said it would be a liability and they didn't want people messing with the equipment.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
here is the great thing about state owned land. Unless there is a law that specifically prohibits it,......it's legal. They only problem is, it could be some obsecure law in the middle of some other non related law etc. So is ti worth it? What's wrong with placing them on private property? I've never had a land owner tell me no, and sometimes they will say well if you catch one I wouldn't mind having a few hives around and you just got yourself a future out yard.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
+1 with Harley. Been told no a number of times but beyond that nothing but positive things.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
...if there is a nice tree off the side of the highway is it fair game?
If the highway is a divided, limited-access highway that is part of the US Interstate Highway System, it is [generally] not permissible to stop except for "emergency purposes". I don't think that placing or retrieving a swarm trap would meet the definition of 'emergency', and the State Police/Highway Patrol might be inclined to instigate a revenue enhancement action. Placing one in an official 'rest area' where it is legal to stop, might incur an adverse reaction from management, on the grounds that it might create a 'public nuisance'.

There is one fellow near here, that places traps at a local major truckstop. It is said that he catches a lot of bees that escape from trucks transporting hives to the blueberry fields on the coast.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I'd make a few phone calls to local, state and / or club folks and get the lowdown. There may be a restriction on specifically having a trap out or just a restriction on personal property. I know in this state there are very specific rules regarding what you can and cannot leave on state, conservation, preserve and wildlife managed lands. Many of those overlap so Harley is right in that an otherwise unrelated rule can affect your decision.

I'd never just do it and leave it at that. If there's a problem, the reputation of all beekeepers takes a hit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My buddy was at a county park last year and a swarm came threw. So I have been talking,meeting with people for over a month now. I am hoping to get a answer soon so I can get traps out. But there are 9 county parks so I'm hoping if I get in this one maybe I can get in the other ones too. Wait and see!!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you paint your swarm traps camouflage according to the background they are being placed at, chances of the trap being found are nearly zero. I would not place a trap while stopping on a highway, as that could lead to a ticket and maybe even something worse as it is a safety issue too.

Wish you lots of luck and success!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
>If you paint your swarm traps camouflage according to the background they are being placed at, chances of the trap being found are nearly zero.

Swarms find homes in trees all the time. What better camouflage is that? They find traps by scent, that is why we put lure in them. They can't see the lure, they smell it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Come on Frank, LOL. You didn't really think he meant the bees couldn't find the trap did you? He is talking about other people seeing it since it would be on public property. What you sippin on tonight?:lookout:

As for the original post always feel if it is not your property then get permission before you do something on it, period. Even if it is public owned property.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Come on Frank, LOL. You didn't really think he meant the bees couldn't find the trap did you? He is talking about other people seeing it since it would be on public property. What you sippin on tonight?:lookout:
:lpf:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Dang Frank,

Honey wine [Mead] is only suppose to be drank in small quanities!

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Mead-Honey-Wine/

I highly recommend smaller dosages...

Honey wine Mead.jpg

PS Charlie, Frank may need some special counseling...hopefully the counseling will also help him catch more swarms! Frank, what ever you do, do not climb up those tall ladders for swarms after experimenting with the mead...

PSS Muellerbee, to be 100% honest with you, I agree with Flyinlowe's advice...obtain permission first...no need to offend someone or get yourself in trouble. I have met people who are of the persuasion, "Shoot first and ask questions later." No joke, there are simply too many wacko's out there to risk placing a hive without permission. Believe it or not, some of my neighbors thought my swarm traps were secret cameras and that I was spying on someone!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
With the heavy laws and regulations and all it will be impossible to get the proper permission from any department. Who would be responsible for the the liability?
In a more populated location the laws are even stricter. By the time you get the permission, ha a long shot, the swarm
season is already over. Might as well set traps in your own yard.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
This was an issue back was I was trapping. Trying to find places to hang traps was a pain. Not to mention checking on them every other day or so. Too much time and fuel for me.
Craigslist is your friend. I end up getting at least two dozen swarm calls every year through Craigslist. No fuss, no checking, no additional time, no swarm trap boxes.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Personally, I am disinclined to place swarm traps outside of my yard. I am semi-isolated and over the last several years I think I may have managed to reduce my varroa levels to where they are more easily managed, if not entirely eradicated. I have been reasonably successful at learning to make increase from my own hives, and I see little need to go out searching for other bees to bring in, which may have the potential to increase disease/parasites. I am not against treating my bees if they need it, but it takes time, effort and money to do so. If I can avoid those expenditures, I would prefer to direct my efforts in a more profitable manner.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It is easier to get forgiven, (or castigated) and move it, than to get permission to place traps. Some camoflage paint makes them unlikely to be found.
The most important thing is " outa sight, outa mind" .

Nobody expects a swarm lure. Since camoflaging the boxes and strictly "not ask no tell" I have not lost 1 box to theft. None have been tampered with. I never saw a footprint. No one has said anything. But they are all placed in remote places discretely and hidden.

Even where I had permission at my friends home, his entire family was blissfully un aware there was 2 colonies 100 feet from the front door. But when his sweet gentle wife found out they had to move "TODAY! Get them OUT of here! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"
Sorry. I was channelling his meek gentle wife for a sec there.

You will have more problems involving people than just ieaving them out of it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts