Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you are subject to inspection as a hobbyist. I'm not sure of the laws in California. Can anyone direct me to a quick reference to what I need to know about these laws. I just want a few hives to play with and learn from. I'm a law abider. :D Thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Here's your state food and agricultural laws.

Scroll down to:
DIVISION 13. BEE MANAGEMENT AND HONEY PRODUCTION

Here in Maine the few dollars spent to register my hives is money well spent. Just the sessions the state bee inspector spends at our association's bee school are worth far more than the annual registration fees for the hives.

Unlike others, I want the government to know about my hives, and more importantly, I want them to know about the hives of those of others in the area. I care more about knowing if foul brood is lurking in a neighbor's hives than I do about his fear of the government.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I too want the State involved in the inspection process of my hives. I do not want to be the reason for the unnecessary spread of disease and I want to know that the State is inspecting the hives of fellow beeks as well in order to keep my hives safe.

If they find a problem that we chose to ignore, then we beeks have a responsibility to correct it or suffer the consequences from the state.

I have a neighbor who has 1 hive down the street who wants to stay under the Radar screen and I find it troubling.

·
Registered
706 Posts
you live in california that state is bankrupt. they don't have the money to go and inspect your hives.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Get hives and bee quite. The less my government knows about me the better I like it. JMHO
Amen to that! Less goverment the better. If your not sure you have problem its not the goverment that needs to step in. call another beek have them inspect you don't need the goverment to hold your hand.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the more reason for me to take on the responsiblity of caring for my bees and in turn not create a problem for others. Maybe that's a reason for government intervention. I really don't want anymore government in my life. I'm a gun owner too.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I am registered w/ our state after I had a pesticide issue that they came to inspect. They are there to help. Our state apiary inspectors are good people. Working w/ them has benefited me a lot.
Kingfisher

·
Registered
706 Posts
Here is my question? What if there were no goverment bee inspector? then what would people do? Same thing here ask others for help and advice.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I'm in Tulare county so I can't give you specifics but I've had bees for seven or eight years now and have yet to have anyone from the government that I didn't already know show up on my place for any of my farming/beekeeping practices and even then it was more freindly than business.
No worries. I would register with the county if there are ag crops nearby just to get on the spray list but otherwise don't worry about it.:)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Here is my question? What if there were no goverment bee inspector? then what would people do? Same thing here ask others for help and advice.
Help and advice is only a small, secondary part of the job. Without an inspector, hardly likely that I would be able to take the time off from my job to inspect the many thousands of hives that come into Maine for blueberry pollination out of the goodness of my heart. Unlikely that folks in California would also be able to do so.

We have a professional State Apiarist that monitors those transient hives as well as the hives of Mainers. Unlikely that I would have any authority to order a neighbor to deal with foul brood in his hives. The state bee inspector does and I'm glad of it.

Wayne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts