Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hive is 3 medium supers, all together for the winter. My top box has alot or HAD allot of capped sugar syrup from my fall feeding, and I guess will get more when I start my spring feeding regimen.

To avoid harvesting sugar syrup honey do I have to buy a 4 honey super and put it on later in the spring when people tell me there is a genuine flow of nectar and after I stop feeding?

Tx!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My hive is 3 medium supers, all together for the winter. My top box has alot or HAD allot of capped sugar syrup from my fall feeding, and I guess will get more when I start my spring feeding regimen.

To avoid harvesting sugar syrup honey do I have to buy a 4 honey super and put it on later in the spring when people tell me there is a genuine flow of nectar and after I stop feeding?

Tx!
Don't feed hives that have plenty of capped sugar syrup. Move all the frames into a single super and let them have them. There is no point in feeding them when they have plenty. They'll just stock pile more of it. You'll be suprised how fast they go thru it when they start building up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is there any reason why gman shouldnt use a capping scratcher to open up a few frames and put them back in the hive in order to stimulate brood rearing from their own stores? I've done it in the past but didn't know if there was a problem with it or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts