Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get 25 queens three weeks ago to start a few splits. Not really concerned about honey with these hives, but instead I sacrificed honey for building up bees. This winter really took a tool on my bees, primarily because of the extended winter we had here in Florida.
I made 24 splits and had a queen left over. I decided to take her to a area where I store my empty hives, and in those hives are a few drawn frames. The bees are still worrking these frames trying to get all they can to take back to their hives.
I placed the caged queen in a box that was being worked over by visiting bees. The next day there must have been 20 or so bees tending to this new queen. I waited a day or two more and there were many more bees tending to the queen. I released the queen and checked it the following week and there were about 50 or so bees working deligently with the queen on one of the drawn frames. Upon more inspection I found eggs in the cells. Interesting it is that this queen was able to survive and start a new colony. Hopefully I will keep a close eye on this one and see how it develops.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had the best success rate for starting new nucs in years. The acceptance rate for this years new starts is encouraging. There is no doubt that this forage hive is going to survive.
As for the rest of the bunch things look good, some are stronger than others, but I started these nucs with only one frame of brood, and one frame of wax foundation. I do have two feeding buckets in the nuc area that I have filled with syrup as a food source that definately helps.
The orange is just now starting to bloom, we should be elated with the amount and duration of this years bloom. Still cannot believe that we are having temps in the mid to low 50's at this time of the year. Just last week we had mid 40's for more than one night.
Things look good for this years orange crop, if we can hold off on more rain then we will have a bumper year. In the past several years we have been in bloom earlier than this year, due to the fact that we had such a long and severe winter the bloom is just starting.
wish all you beeks a good season. Broodhead

1 - 4 of 4 Posts