Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
left over honey is the only honey for me. eat up yours and if your talking about sugar syrup, justdispose. its likely pretty ripe to use for anything. good luck w/ top bars.

thomas

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of the stored honey is on top of the combs and combs are connected to the bar. Is there a different way to do it besides cutting it down or bees will take care of it?
How can you tell if combs are too old? I read somewhere that combs need to be changes every 2-3 years.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Is winter over by you? if so and your bees are foraging, take comb with a sharp knife, my fave is a long bread knife. cut comb from bar leaving 1-2" for bees to build new comb and they will. take only honeycomb that does NOT have brood. this is certainly one way to regularly replace comb. As you may know, old comb can contain all kinds of nasty stuff, but top bar hiving is the best and most convieniant way I know of to get the job done. It helps if you love comb honey too.

thomas

"We could have saved the earth but we were to cheap."
K. Vonnegut Jr.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Oh yeah-I almost forgot-check out Michael Bush;s site at bushfarms-he's on here all the time and his site is amazing, especially for us top bar beeks.

thomas

·
Registered
557 Posts
ivashka, are you talking about a hive you have over wintered? If so leave the the combs in the hive as you found them. Your bees will need what's in their hive to build up for the spring. Wait until they start to store nectar before you move anything around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts