Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what to do with these. I have collected a total of 14 of them over the past 2 years. They look to nice to just toss in the garbage. What do you guys do with yours ?
Thanks

·
Registered
833 Posts
I strip some down and use the wood for kindleing to start my smoker. the wire i use to block entrances on the hive when I need to move them or to block the top entrance when I want the bees to use the lower one.Also the wire can be taped over holes in card board boxes used to transport swarmshome it prevents excape and allows ventalation.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
The supplier we generaly get packages from (our club) charges a $3.00 deposit so the next year we return them for a refund but this year we went with another supplier and they didnt charge a dep so I have a BUNCH stacked in my shop for next year or when ever becuse if this bunch of bees dont do better than the last we will bee looking for another supplier:waiting:

P.S. I have heard of people useing the in a vaccum but the times I have used my beevac the cage would have been to small

·
Registered
166 Posts
The supplier we generaly get packages from (our club) charges a $3.00 deposit so the next year we return them for a refund but this year we went with another supplier and they didnt charge a dep so I have a BUNCH stacked in my shop for next year or when ever becuse if this bunch of bees dont do better than the last we will bee looking for another supplier:waiting:

P.S. I have heard of people useing the in a vaccum but the times I have used my beevac the cage would have been to small
I only have used (so far) my bee vac for cut outs, and having multiple cages ready I can always pull a full one and place a empty one in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this site and am thinking about starting a couple hives. But I do have about 100 to 150 old packages. I also was wondering what I could do with them. I see someone managed to trade for packages of bees anyone have any advice how I could trade these off? They came with a bunch of equipment I bought last year.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was really looking for an answer on what they could be used for. What would you use them for ?
If they can be "re-used" by those needing to supply package bees it would be great to return them. I had just a few and I gave mine to a friend who does bee removals in case he needed them...I kept two packages and gave to my grandsons as they wanted to use them as a "bug box" to catch insects in. By the way, they love their so-called bug boxes and I've seen lightening bugs and an assorted bunch of other bugs in their new found "bug boxes." ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use mine in my bee vac, just put the top back on, drill a new hole for the suction tube, and it is operable. They work great for smaller cut outs, or multiple packages can be used for larger cut outs, but that requires changing them out, which i dont like to do that much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts