Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I have bad eyes. I have somewhat lost count, but I think I am up to 6 surgeries on my right eye and maybe 8 or so on my left. Detached retinas, cataracts . . . you name it. Plus I have needed glasses since elementary school.

I started grafting in 2017 and I have tried many, many things. I have currently settled on this: https://www.amazon.com/Dicfeos-Head...4128807&sprefix=Magnification,aps,196&sr=8-13.

Looks to be about $20.00 now. I think it was $15 when I bought it. It is cheap and cheaply made. But it allows me to work with my glasses on, has an adjustable LED light that you can target into the cells, and comes with a variety of magnification lenses. It works very well and I could not be happier with it.
Thanks for that recommendation; it is perfect. The light can be aimed where you want it and from an angle so as to not cast shadow. Very compact so your hand or grafting tool is not hitting on it. Can instantly flip up the lens only or quickly remove from your head.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Based on the recommendations here I purchased the $4.99 magnifiers from Harbor Freight and love them. I have not been able to see eggs in the past, but with these magnifiers I finally did this last weekend, so that is all I need to hang on to them. I like them because they do have easy magnifying options which are easy to manipulate under your veil although when I used the 4.8x power it focuses on my veil netting so I had to drop the power down. With my readers, I always had to tilt my head down to see "normal" which was a bit of a pain, but with these my vision is always normal and I can easily drop the magnifier down when magnification is needed.

Kevin

·
Registered
159 Posts
They were at my local store. I called ahead to make sure that they had them and they had about 3 on the floor.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Getting good lighting where I needed it was my biggest problem for grafting. I have dealt with various diopter corrections for welding helmet "cheaters" as we called them. Fixed close up glasses, bifocal and finally trifocal glasses. Finally the solution was to challenge the Steamfitters license, went fitting and mostly gave up welding except for a few occasions when my welder was too drunk or stoned.;)

Everyones eyes are different. It makes it really tricky to get good distant as well as close up resolution when one eyes correction factor is greatly different from the other. The dollar store glasses dont solve those problems but you may find something that works for you for this one limited activity.

The gizmo that psm1212 put me onto is the best that I have tried. I am going to order a pair for my son; he is pushing 50 and usually by that time most of us could use a little help.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I grafted into 8 diy wax cups this morning. My first time actually grafting using the new optics and lighting. Wow! so much easier. Two hours later the bees had altered all 8 of the cups to close the 3/8" opening down to one bee sized hole. Initial acceptance at least appears good.

I put a little dab of juice taken from a bit older cells in each cup. When you touch the ends of the larvae to the puddle the surface tension makes it easy to slide the tool away and leave the larvae behind.

From Amazon.ca
Binnan Headband LED Illuminated Head Magnifier Visor with 2 LEDs & 5 Detachable Lenses (1.0X, 1.5X, 2.0X, 2.5X,3.5X) for Reading, Jewelry Loupe, Watch & Electronic Repair
Sold by: BINNAN Official
Return eligible through Aug 20, 2020
CDN$ 20.99

·
Registered
648 Posts
Good to hear you have it sorted out Frank.

Sunday I did what may be my last grafts of the season. This whole year I've been using nicot cups because I want to use the hair roller cages. Acceptance has been terrible in the 10-15% range. Sunday I used my trusty JZBZ setup and did 2 bars.

When I checked this morning acceptance was in the 60% range. Maybe I just need to make adapters to use the cages with JZBZ cups?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Good to hear you have it sorted out Frank.

Sunday I did what may be my last grafts of the season. This whole year I've been using nicot cups because I want to use the hair roller cages. Acceptance has been terrible in the 10-15% range. Sunday I used my trusty JZBZ setup and did 2 bars.

When I checked this morning acceptance was in the 60% range. Maybe I just need to make adapters to use the cages with JZBZ cups?

Why, o' why don't they make a hair-roller type cage that fits JZBZ cups??????????????????

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'll say it again: The key to grafting with the Chinese tool is to graft larvae off of the oldest, darkest, ugliest brood comb. I keep my breeder queens on that kind of comb. No need to sand down tool tips, the old comb does all the work for you.
You are wasting your time Bob , this has been gone over for 15 years that I know of. Dark comb that is one of the secrets, if you want good light use a led flash light with a Chinese grafting tool graft the wet spot look at the tip after you get it out , if not try again . There are hundreds of posts on here about how to graft people just get tired of repeating themselves. This is not hard, oh ya dollar store readers biggest they have.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Why, o' why don't they make a hair-roller type cage that fits JZBZ cups??????????????????
I made this and used it on the last round. The bar is 1" thick. The bottom hole is drilled 5/8" deep. The bar is positioned so that a cage can just barely be lifted all the way into the hole and then tilted into vertical. When the cage is set back down on the shelf bar the top lip of the cage remains in the hole. The top pocket is 1/4" deep, leaving 1/8" for the lip - I have since enlarged the through hole a little more after the picture was taken so that fat cells fit through easier. Finally, a thin strip of wood slides in, held in place by cleats on the side bars, that keeps the cup from being pressed up by a persistent queen. The top bar can still be used for holding a bar of grafted cups.

Attachments

61 - 73 of 73 Posts