Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a beekeeper for just over two weeks and I was out at the hives looking for the queen. Could not find a queen in the first hive. It does have several queen cells. Went to second hive. Opened and pulled 1st frame. Set on ground and leaned against hive. Continued checking frames. All of a sudden the bees got quite upset. I had accidently kicked over the frame on the ground. I had just removed the veil to look better for the queen. Lesson learned - Don not remove veil and Definitely do know kick over a frame. Check my web site to see the results.

www.ncbeekeeper.com

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Ouch!!! I never go without protection when messing with the hive. Just figure that is not the place to be careless.

Glad it wasn't worse for you, it could have gotten really ugly.

Nice colonies and good luck.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I use an old deep when I do an inspection.
I pull the frames and set them in the deep, in the same order I pulled them out. No worry about kicking frames. ( I have done it too) I wouldnt think you would have queen cells so soon after a new package. It is probably burr comb.

[ April 16, 2006, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: newbee 101 ]

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I like those hive stands made out of PVC pipe, good idea.... nice site but that one picture is hard to look at long :D ;)

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Sorry about the hits you took - looks like they got you pretty good.

Nice web site! Neat idea about the PVC hive stand. Just wonder if they can handle the weight? I suspect a strong productive hive in Charlotte can hit the 300 lbs region. If they do the job its a nice solution light weight, cheap and easy to build.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
ouch... does it hurt you or your feeling the worst?

yep, your hive stands are very cool. HIGH FIVE!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eye still shut this morning but putting ice on it. I have made a stand to put frames on when they are removed. Just painted it a while ago. Check my web site in a day or two and I will have a pic online. I did go out an apologize to the girls this morning for kicking the frame. Chalk this up as a good learning experience. Main problem is I could not find a queen in either hive. When my eye opens back up I will go in again and look one more time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you find your queens. And there not marked then you need to mark them for easyer finding next time. Your eye looks like my ear did last week. I no it hurts like well you know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey Gary"

What part of Charlotte are you in?

I'm in Monroe not too far away. When you first start keeping bees it takes a little while to learn to spot the queen, but you can always look for brood and eggs (a good sighn)that things are normal in the hive.

drop me an email sometime, we'll talk bees.

[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts