Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new beekeeper and have posted a few times. In one of my posts i said that i noticed the bees flying randomly i found out what they where doing, orientation flights. I also learned that spraying water before installing is well a fun and eventful experience. I installed on friday (4/18/14) and when i checked Sunday the queen is almost out and they are so much more calmer then on install day. A few questions i have lets says you feed the bees a quart of 1:1 and you miss one day will they die? Right now i am using a old electrical spool as the bee stand it is one of the large ones, would it be wise to just leave as is or try to find a better stand? Feeding after sunset is that a good idea or a bad one (will the bees be very calm or will they be defensive)? I will try to post a pic of how my setup is this weekend so i can get some feed back from you guys and gals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They will be fine missing one day, your up north of me so I can't say how the flow is going but being new might be good to keep them topped off. The spool is fine, just make sure it can hold a few hundred pounds and if you add supers on there they won't be too tall for you to take off easy. Remember a full small super can be 30+lbs... Also make sure its level or slight tilt towards the entrance. Don't open after dark, it can wait until tomorrow. Oh and have fun, good luck and don't stand in front of them for long :).

Lots of information all over the place so keep reading and watching videos.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
That was all good advice. Only thing I would add is wait two days to see if those queens are out and if they aren't release them by pulling three outer frames and putting the cage down deep in so when the queen runs out she goes under the frames and doesn't fly away. Then stay out of there for 10 days. Just open to feed then get back out, no pulling nothing! Best of luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you, i am feeding using a boardman feeder. i know people do not like them but for now that is what i am using i will be testing out the zip lock bag feeding method this weekend.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Please after filling your baggie lay it down abruptly (not drop) and make sure the seal is indeed sealed. Make sure it is fully supported by the frames and the hive is fairly level. Then there can be no problems if you just slit the upper side a couple of places about an inch.
thank you, i am feeding using a boardman feeder. i know people do not like them but for now that is what i am using i will be testing out the zip lock bag feeding method this weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nothing wrong with a boardman feeder. Good thing about them is you can see the feed level without opening the hive.you can change the bottle or refill anytime including after sundown. There is also no chance of dripping on the cluster as with a Baggie feeder. With in the hive feeders you should not open the hive after sundown.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Don't open your hive up at night! (The bees are extra-defensive in the dark.) You could fill a boardman at night, though, if the bees get used to you being there.

I use a hive-top feeder specifically so that I can refill it without directly opening the hive. Because sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to get it done before dark.

Not feeding for one day isn't the end of the world, but keep in mind that right now you are feeding to increase the rate of wax production to draw combs, almost more than for simple nutrition for the bees themselves. You can't get brood - or honey - without those combs so the faster, and more, that they get made the better things will go. Not feeding my new-hived swarms late last Spring was a mistake I regret (though my colonies survived nonetheless). I assumed that because they were living in my barn beforehand that they were meeting their own needs. I would have had faster and better colony establishment if I had fed them after they were hived. Sugar is cheap and 1:1 is easy to make just using very hot water; it's doesn't need to be cooked. To save time during the week I mix up a dozen half-gallons (in half-gallon jars) on the weekend and then I always have some ready for a quick top-up during the busy workweek. Since you're in New England, may I point out that the cheapest place I've found to buy sugar is BJ's Wholesale club. Last time I bought some it was $9.69 for a 25-lb sack. Sure beats grocery store prices.

Have fun with your new bees!

Enj.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
Bees can last a couple of days with no food living on what is in their stomach. After that, though, they will need some food from some source, whether that source is nectar, syrup or whatever. And they really can't take cold syrup, so if the nights are falling much below 50 F they will have problems.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Being an electrician I always have some big spools laying around. When I got my first hive that's what I used. I soon found that I wasn't tall enough to work it 3 boxes high.
There still really handy for a bee yard table though.

The boardman is fine in the spring. Once the midsummer dearth hits they really invite robbers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a new beekeeper and have posted a few times. In one of my posts i said that i noticed the bees flying randomly i found out what they where doing, orientation flights. I also learned that spraying water before installing is well a fun and eventful experience. I installed on friday (4/18/14) and when i checked Sunday the queen is almost out and they are so much more calmer then on install day. A few questions i have lets says you feed the bees a quart of 1:1 and you miss one day will they die? Right now i am using a old electrical spool as the bee stand it is one of the large ones, would it be wise to just leave as is or try to find a better stand? Feeding after sunset is that a good idea or a bad one (will the bees be very calm or will they be defensive)? I will try to post a pic of how my setup is this weekend so i can get some feed back from you guys and gals.
Hey nhoyt, Im in Easthampton - very jealous you have package bees already. Mine delayed till mid/late may. May I ask where you got yours?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tycobb I got my package from warm colors in south deerfield. Pm me maybe we can help each other when needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since you're in New England, may I point out that the cheapest place I've found to buy sugar is BJ's Wholesale club. Last time I bought some it was $9.69 for a 25-lb sack.
I consider anything under $0.40/lb a decent deal. Just bought 25 lb bags of cane sugar at Costco for $8.75 yesterday. Cheapest I've seen around here in a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.