Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday I was working one of my hives without any smoke, they started to get aggravated and ultimately I got tagged on the wrist. Figuring I was almost done, rather than lighting up the smoker, I just reached down and grabbed some grass to rub on the sting to get rid of any pheromones.

I generally don't react much to stings, but this one kept itching all night long. Next morning when I got up my arm was all swollen I had two red streaks all the way up into my underarm (this was less than 12 hours from when I'd gotten stung). I figured it wasnt good so I called the doc, who told me to come in immediately.

Long story short, it was a bacterial infection, possibly from the stinger but probably from the grass and debris I'd rubbed on it. The doc said if I hadnt done anything about it, the infection could easily have had life threatening consequences. Now with still a swollen and itchy arm, Im on heavy duty antibiotics for the next two weeks.

So far it has been a very unpleasant experience, so I figured I'd share it so that hopefully someone can avoid doing the same thing in the future.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sebee, really sorry to hear about your infected bee sting. I was noticing last night during my cutout, trying to get the honey off of my gloves, I just ran my gloves through the tall weeds. The weeds gave off a strong scent and easily, I can see myself doing the same thing as you did not having smoke.

Stay on the antibiotics, get well and come back outside to play some more.

Chin up.

:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hey Sebee, Had the same thing happen to me. its from the stinger. and I hardly ever get bothered by stings. red streaks up my arm and across my chest. a shot of Rocefin and a week if keflex i was good to go. hope you get feeling better.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Welcome to the club, Sebee!!! What club you ask? To be a member you have to learn lessons the hard way! I'm a charter member! :lpf:
Hope you heal up real fast!

For those who are thinking about not using a smoker... another reason to use a smoker is that when you get stung (and you will) you smoke the sting area to mask the pheromones given off. That reduces the probability that you'll get stung again. Doesn't eliminate it, reduces it.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 4 of 4 Posts