Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried making a 5 gal bucket with holes in the channels to provide water to the bees. Without the holes the suction was fine and didn't leak out. When I added the 1/8 or 7/64 holes in the channels, the water leaked out at the bottom where the suction was. The holes were drilled in the channels only, not all the way through and not in the handle connectors. I experimented with different size holes but still leaked in the lid only and had no suction. I know some water will leak until the suction takes hold, but this was almost all. So, the question is what made the difference?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Not all bucket/lid configurations will maintain a controlled feed. If the lip of the lid is not higher than the top edge of the horizontally drilled hole in the side of the pail, it will not hold an "on demand" level.

This control is different than the regulation resulting from surface tension on vertically drilled holes on a lid bottom.

Probably as clear as mud!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand crofter. After checking, the lid is rather small compared to others that I have tried. I have tried 5 different buckets that I purchased from Lowe's and Home Depot and this was the only one that kept a suction. I was hopeful. The other ones that I tried wouldn't hold a suction, even the ones that have a rubber seal in the lid. It looks so easy watching it done on YouTube.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I forgot to mention that the shape of the bucket reinforcing rings can be controlling factor. If the ring is flat and projects straight out, rather than out for say 1/2" then up for 1/2", then no air lock can be established. I have played a fair bit with makeshift water and feed metering using an assortment of available pails. Some combinations are very touchy about absolute level or they will leak empty. You would not want that to happen on top of the brood nest!

Edit; they should work if you drill the small holes in the lid but you will have to space it up away from whatever it is inverted over. If anything touches and breaks the surface tension of the drips they will continue to run and empty the container. That was a problem with chickens scratching and tossing litter into the operation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of the various YouTube videos that I have watched, they all used the buckets purchased from Lowe's or Home Depot. Some had a rubber seals, some not. Some had deep lids with holes in the lid just above the rubber seals. I even used the food grade buckets with the rubber seal. They all leaked. Pretty frustrating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts