Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an especially mean hive this spring- I thought I was sparring with Joe Frasier everytime I went in the hive. So I had to do something- It was 2 hive bodies tall- I placed a bottom next to the hive and removed the top body and set it on the bottom , added a top- instant split. I didn't care which body the queen was in, checked it 4 weeks later, both had queens and both hives were much mellower. I think I will do it 1 more time with the orginal hive just to keep those girls on their toes and show them who's the boss of the beeyard!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had an especially mean hive this spring- I thought I was sparring with Joe Frasier everytime I went in the hive. So I had to do something
Me too, except I was sparring with Mike Tyson.

I placed a bottom next to the hive and removed the top body and set it on the bottom , added a top- instant split. I didn't care which body the queen was in, checked it 4 weeks later, both had queens and both hives were much mellower.
I did mine differently, same concept though. I used a Snelgrove board, or commonly called here in the US a "double-screened board." It is a 1-1.5 inch thick "shim" with screen on both sides so the bees cannot communicate through it. It serves as the bottom board for one of the 2 hive bodies you have with the queen in it. Then, put the remaining (now queenless) box, below the DSB, with the existing bottomboard below that. So config looks like so: bottom board, 1st deep, snelgrove board, 2nd deep wth queen. My pissy-wissy hive now is calmer and I have an extra queen out of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts