Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extra large hive,insulated ,with divider board in center, each side is about 28 inches long, work table and built in feeders, i fill with fondut and with pollen if needed, or I could use sugar water? I never have ,drawers on bottom are filled with fresh cedar shavings ,bottom of hive has 2 -4inch air holes in each side , I control amout of air going into hive in winter time . cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
The wider slat on the right are they the tops of full frame 'built in feeders' mentioned? What approx R-value is your insulation? What is your USDA plant zone if you know it to compare your winter to? My first Lazutin horztl LG hive build has custom no spacing frames like yours holding 25 F's. As I really want to work with a northern race bee(better adapted to our LONG winter no cleansing flight period) I have found cert Russians locally but only in nucs. For whatever reason(forgotten) I built this first hive 1/2" too narrow to hold Lang width frames(never thought I would need to accommodate them). Thought I would only just have one hive and be golden, lol. Live and learn. If I could have found Russians in a package I probably would have been good to go.

As I have now built three insulated hives of different designs(the other two built around Lang size plastic frames to try to keep them uniform and interchangeable for keeping organized) I refit this first hive to a Lewicki design(very uncommon) that holds a winter core space of more than 10 F's at one end perpendicular to other frames that fill the remainder(honey super) side. I installed a QE partition between the two sides that holds the perp frames. I believe this will allow me to use Lang frames made DD and more easily interchange brood frames from other hives, do splits, nucs in it. My second LGHTL hive uses all Lang DD plastic frames in parallel row.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Extra large hive,insulated ,with divider board in center, each side is about 28 inches long, work table and built in feeders, i fill with fondut and with pollen if needed, or I could use sugar water? I never have ,drawers on bottom are filled with fresh cedar shavings ,bottom of hive has 2 -4inch air holes in each side , I control amout of air going into hive in winter time . cheers
Since this is a two-unit hive, I would not put the entrances this close (even from the parasite spread view point or queen mating needs). I would keep the entrances well apart and clearly separated and different.
Like so:
20191103_154040.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts