Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspected hive to find multiple eggs in a few cells. Must be a laying worker/s. Although most of the capped brood is not drone cells. three weeks ago during an inspection saw a queen that was a supersedured queen with no markings. Am I screwed or what? I know it is a long time consuming process to rid the hive of these layig workers and was praying that I could be wrong . SEND HELP QUICK!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thanks I counted back and figured that if there was a queen three weeks ago there would not be laying workers at this time . I thought it took about a month for the workers to develop the hormones needed to lay eggs and this would be tooo soon since I saw the queen three weeks ago. Hopefully it is just the new queen getting settled thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check in a week and look for new open brood. like a said most if not almost all of the capped brood is worker so ... If I have a laying worker situation I can't combine hives since I only have the one so I will probably have to shake them down, but my hopes are that it is a new queen just settling in. I don't know what happened to the old queen I don't think they swarmed because upon inspection I saw no queen cells or swarm cells but of course they could have been overlooked. Also this is a new hive. I did see a queen cell on some burr comb that was built on the middle frame where the queen cage was afterward but since this was not technically on the bottom of the frame but the bottom of the comb though that it was a supercedure cell.I have been opening the hive every other week as it is late summer and there is a nectar dearth.Although I have only done three full scale inspections removing every frame and going over each one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts