Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.

i have a laying worker problem in a hive.

the hive is very week, so no need to try saving them.

the question is:
there is newly drawn comb in there, full of pollen and nectar. but also, all full of dead brood and eggs all over.

what to do with these awsome frames?
freezer overnight and then in a healthy hive so they can use it and clean it out?

would be a shame to melt that down, especialy as it is full of dead larvea and all.
thanks for the opinion.

ingo

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Freezer over 2 nights, and put them in a healthy hive to use and clean out. I am pretty sure I am in the same boat as you are. I also have a very healthy boomer hive, and a new package that I hived last week. Tomorrow I will make a final assessment (hopefully) of the suspected LW hive and if confirmed I will shake out all the frames, remove the hive, and wrap and place the frames in the freezer.

If you have dead or drone larva, you might want to leave the frame out for the birds to clean out the larva.

Good luck!

Phil

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Yep, freeze overnight, then place in strong colonies. This has worked well for me.

Whenever I've left combs of brood where our desert birds can access it, they've not only eaten the larva from the cells, but tore the comb to shreds. I'm afraid that our desert birds are just too zealous when it comes to these things, I can't trust them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts