Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past several weekes I have developed a laying worker issue. It started soon after I hived some of my packages. I noticed a problem in the 1st hive due to the queen was dead in her cage. I requeened. Upon inspection I have nothing but drone brood and multiple eggs per cell. Hive #2 the queen was released and noticed multiple eggs per cell. I was being patient due to the fact that I have read of newly mated queens sometimes being slopply. Inspected today and nothing but drone brood.

SO, I did the far away shake method. I went about 500 feet away a shook every bee out of the boxes and frames. Brought back the empty boxes and frames and requeened. I did this in a attemp to rid myself of the laying worker. Though being that she is not a forager and will no know her way back to the hive.

Anyone else ever do such a thing?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm currently looking into this very problem in one of my hives. I noticed multiple eggs in some cells. I was shocked that all the eggs were at the bottom since I had heard that a laying worker would put the eggs on the side of the cell too since she can not reach the bottom very well. I am waiting to see if when they are capped in a few more days to see if I have drones or workers. The hive is weak and kinda looks like the originaly swarm took off and left some bees behind. We shall see what it is soon enough. If that is the case, I was planning on adding a frame of bees and brood to see if they rear a queen as Michael's page has suggested. I do have one other hive that has a bunch of drones in it, I mean, A LOT! If it wasn't for the capped worker brood that I saw in the hive too, I would be concerned. I will be looking into the hive this weekend to just to make sure things are still good in there too.

Craig

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'm currently looking into this very problem in one of my hives. I noticed multiple eggs in some cells. I was shocked that all the eggs were at the bottom since I had heard that a laying worker would put the eggs on the side of the cell too since she can not reach the bottom very well.
Craig
Hey Craig, a new queen will do that too tryinig to get her laying down good. Givem a chance and see what happens!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
>>>>> Upon inspection I have nothing but drone brood and multiple eggs per cell. Hive #2 the queen was released and noticed multiple eggs per cell. I was being patient due to the fact that I have read of newly mated queens sometimes being slopply. Inspected today and nothing but drone brood.<<<<<

These are no longer normal bees and probably can't be salvaged. Sad, but it could be worse. You could spend all summer working on them. Mikes site explains it well.

>>>>SO, I did the far away shake method. I went about 500 feet away a shook every bee out of the boxes and frames. Brought back the empty boxes and frames and requeened. I did this in a attempt to rid myself of the laying worker. Though being that she is not a forager and will no know her way back to the hive.<>>>>>>

Several assumptions here.
The "Far away shake method," is a piece of misinformation that is hard to kill. It's not a "method."
"...to rid myself of THE laying worker." There is not 1 but there are many laying workers.
" [she]will not know her way back to the hive." It's been proven long ago that the laying workers find their way back faster than the beekeeper.

If you were successful (or others were) it's probably because you disrupted the hive enough to make a pheromone reboot.

There's a lot more on this in the archives.

dickm

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dev, I'm gonna give it some time to see if things straighten out, I'm hard headed enough to do that, that's for sure. Time will tell.

Craig

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after reading all your replies and more informational reading I was pretty down on my desicion to re-queen the laying worker hives. I checked today, 5 days after re-queen and the queen still was not released. They were about 80% through the candy. The attitude of the workers was not agressive at all. They was no balling of the cage. They seemed interested in her "normally". They were not going at the cage with their mandables. It was very gentle and dosile.

I hope this is a good sign.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did my first inspection to verify the queen was released. I had a long time Beek give me some queen pheromone to settle the hive if problems still were there. I installed the pheromone and began to search of signs that the hive accepted the queen. On the second frame I pulled, there she was. Alive and well. The hive had not killed her Like I had feared. She had not started laying yet. The best thing is I could find any cells with laying worker eggs.

I think the shake out worked and I rid myself of the laying workers or they accepted the queen and stopped laying.

Yipee.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
That is the only real use for a shakeout. To demoralize and confuse them enough that they accept a new queen. I'm glad it worked out for you. In my experience it doesn't work out often enough to be worth the effort, but sometimes it works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts