Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was quite evident that a new beeks hive had a laying worker. They hive was so full of drones, not to mention all of the brood was drone. But there were also around 5 to 8 capped Qcells. Or at least they appeared to be queen cells.

Queried but didn't find anything on the subject of Qcells from a laying worker.

It seems to me that a drone is a drone no matter how much royal jelly you feed it and cap it as a queen. Am I right or wrong? Will these drone larva actually emerge?

Here is what I did to hopefully make the hive Q right. We brought over a yard wagon(?). You know, the ones with the large wheels and 4 sides that are 3 or so feet tall.

Knocked all of the frames into the wagon and then quickly pushed it away aproximately 30 or more yards. There were so many drones that we then brought the wagon part way back and knocked the frames, boxes and BB again into the wagon and moved it back. We quickly put down the BB and then a QE as a drone excluder (from outside) and hopefully excluder for the laying worker which we never saw. I basically destroyed all of the drone cells with my hive tool. We also swapped out a few of the frames because the hive was getting pretty honey bound.

They had a second hive which was a package. The second frame I looked at was wall to wall eggs. Too that frame out and put it in the brood box which we put on top which a medium super on the bottom.

Haven't heard back from them as to what is going on. But if the laying worker was removed, most of the drones kept out of the hive they hopefully should make some Qcells.

I can't remember if I destroyed the LW Qcells.

Appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ken,
Just something to consider...the condition you just described could also be caused by an insufficiently mated queen...they become "drone layers." Often, the girls will superscede the drone laying queen and in time, the combs will be filled with normal worker brood again. I hope what you did corrects the problem.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The hive was so full of drones, not to mention all of the brood was drone.
This colony may have been past saving, but, you never know.

But there were also around 5 to 8 capped Qcells.
A queenless hive will try desperately to make a queen, even if they only have drone eggs.

But if the laying worker was removed, most of the drones kept out of the hive they hopefully should make some Qcells.
Might work, but even if they make a new queen, it'll be at least 4 weeks before she emerges, mates and starts laying. For a hive as far gone as you describe, there may not be enough workers left to keep the colony going that long.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had a laying worker hive before and I turned it around by adding frames of eggs & brood. They will make a queen cell eventually.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
It seems to me that a drone is a drone no matter how much royal jelly you feed it and cap it as a queen. Am I right or wrong?

Unfertilized eggs become drones. No amount of royal jelly can change the sex of the larva.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts