Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found two of my hives with laying workers. One robbed out, the other with their stores but won't be long. Does the\them layer workers stay in the hive as a house bee? I was thinking of setting up a nuc in a full lang and put it beside the bad hives. Then put a one way cone on the bad hive entrance. Bees left in the parent get disposed of, stores returned to the nuc. Anyone think this will work better than open brood inside the hives? I'm not sure the robbed out hive is worth it but worth a try for experience. My goal is to get them right and ready for overwintering. I have surplus honey frames. I just want a "barn burner" come spring. If the odds are against this, I just as soon harvest\store and start anew.
These two hives were both strong 6 weeks ago.:scratch:
Appreciate suggestions or other ideas.
Thanks to all in advance
Rick from SoMd

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...If the odds are against this..."
from your description of the shape they're in, id say so.
"...6 weeks ago..."
thats too long to go between inspections, so this is what you find-too far gone because you're too late.
if you have 3 or more frames of bees, thats enough for a nuc, if you get a laying queen somewhere. you might find a nuc for sale now, too. either one, with plenty of help from you, would be ready to boom next spring.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Rick, I hope you have some other hives. Because if you want to make the most of what you have, I'd throw it all up onto another hive w/ newspaper in between the strong queenright hive, which will be on the bottom, and the rest of what you have.

Run over to Hughesville and get some bees from an Amish guy, if you don't have another strong hive.

I wish I could recall that guys name who worked w/ my Dad and then became an Inspector after retirement. He worked around Hughesville.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does the\them layer workers stay in the hive as a house bee?
No studies to prove this, but several beeks have claimed that the laying workers can and are also field bees. As there are other (likely faster) ways to fix these bees, I would try suppressive efforts first.

Then put a one way cone on the bad hive entrance. Bees left in the parent get disposed of, stores returned to the nuc. Anyone think this will work better than open brood inside the hives?
Inserting open brood is the standard recommendation by many beeks and I'm sure it works fine, but it didn't for on a hive of a buddies after 6 weeks. What did work was placing the laying worker colony above a double screen board. That way you get to use the full force of an entire queenright colonies open brood pheromones. It worked great for me. Check out the string from a few weeks ago here: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241568 Post #6. To check the suppression of the laying workers, leave them on the double screen board for a week (with their own entrance of course) and then either insert an empty frame of brood comb and see if they've stopped laying eggs and/or insert a frame of eggs to see if the start making queen cups. Either response and you've fixed the problem. After suppression confirmation you can combine them, requeen them, or whatever you find most appropriate.
~Reid

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thank you\,,,,:eek: I know too long,,,,between inspections. Excuses but doesn't matter. Might experiment just for the yea or neigh on the one. The other I'll paper to another.
What it is all about.
Rick SoMd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts