Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that any hive will accept a newly hatched virgin queen. I have placed virgin queens in queenless hives and queen castles with good success. Do you think this would work for a laying worker hive? What about a queen cell in a cell protector? Would the bees kill the queen after she is mated or will they accept her?

Thanks,
Nevin

·
Registered
232 Posts
you need to get a spare hive&remove all frames from the brood box.shake all the bees out of the old hive onto a sheet,towel,or bare ground.put the hive back.take each frame out&brush them off on the sheet.return each frame as brushed off.eventually all the bees will fly off except for a small cluster.this is more than likely your laying worker since she is too heavy to fly&her attendants.I just had the same problem,but had 2 laying workers.did this,re-queened&its a productive hive with worker brood now.lost 2 queen before doing this&paid for 1 of them.cheap $20 lesson,coulda lost the hive

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
There is never "a" laying worker; there are several to many. Do Michael Bush's recommended treatment; a frame of eggs and young brood every week for 3 weeks. If that doesn't work then shake the bees out a good distance away from the current location and remove the hive body. Your time is better spent making splits from good hives. My son and I worked with 2 LW hives a ridiculous amount of time last year. Tried new queens, cells and frames of eggs and brood. Finally combined one with another good hive and they killed the good queen! Give it a little effort but don't waste time with them.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Do you think this would work for a laying worker hive? What about a queen cell in a cell protector? Would the bees kill the queen after she is mated or will they accept her?
Nevin- there is a recent post by Keith (fatscher on this forum) and also something on Mike Bush's website about how you also need several frames of brood and/or larvae to change a laying worker situation plus shaking the bees off of the frames.
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241858&highlight=fatscher
Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts