Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put together a top bar this spring & put a "northern" package in the hive on May2. The girls drew 5 bars of comb fast but I saw a capped queen cell about 14 days after installation & put it to bed, thinking a supercedure was in the works. The next time I did an inspection about 21 days later, no queen, no eggs, no brood of any type. One week later, drone cells & tons of eggs in cells. CRAP, laying worker hive.(should have known) Everything I read about LW hives left me really bummed out. Finally hatched & mated a queen from another hive & put her cage in the hive. Looked at the bar the next day & the girls were trying to kill the new queen. Decided to take one last shot: Took a full deep frame of mostly capped brood (about 20% uncapped) out of another hive & cut the comb out & hung it with string to the top bar & placed it next to the comb with the caged queen.(thank God for wax foundation!!) Over the next week, I became increasingly pessimistic about the hive's viability as I was seeing only old foragers in & out of the entrance. A week ago Sunday, I opened the hive & SAW THE QUEEN OUT & CAPPED BROOD. Thought that I vaped too much the night before, so I was afraid to look again but, of course, I did. 3 frames with capped brood, many young bees. Based on what I've read (a lot), this shouldn't happen & when it does, the colony raises it's own queen from donated larva after many attempts & this rarely works. From my master beek classes, I thought that the brood pheromone, together with the queen mandibular pheromone, might convince the remaining bees to "off" the laying workers & let the queen do her thing. I have a lot of gratitude for life & my bees; sometimes things happen that aren't on the schedule. Has anyone else heard of this happening? Would love to know. thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts