Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the hive that I think killed my Porter Russian queen. I saw her the day after she was released (June 17), and by June 21, I couldn't find her but there were a lot of newly occupied queen cells on the bottom of one frame--which I pulled for a queenless swarm. I went thru this hive again top to bottom July 1, and no queen or young brood.

Today, July 14, I'm finding all kinds of capped brood and a few open cells. Still no sign of the queen, which has me wondering if I'm looking at the results of a laying worker. According to the bee math, it would be either worker or drone. No additional queen cells.

Spotty pattern, and the capped cells are raised a little bit higher than normal worker, but not nearly as high as the .22 bullets that usually indicate drones.



Here's a side view:



What do you all think? Give it another couple of weeks and see if I have a hive full of workers or drones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
My guess is that the queen was killed and the bees tried to raise a queen. When you pulled the frame with the queen cells out they lost that chance. Now you have laying workers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This hive was split from my Cordovan Italian, and they have been little royal pains since. They were queenless for about 24 hours before I put the Russian in. A week later she was out & seemed accepted when I removed the queen cage, and that was the *last* time I saw her.

@WillH--I'm fully expecting that they now have laying workers. They've done just about everything else.

@Oldtimer--There are at least 3 frames with this brood/pattern, so I'll pop a few cells open tomorrow and see what's there. We might be having a blanket party this weekend.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top