Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I. Recently built three layens horizontal Hives 28 frames
in doing are studying some people put forth the idea to extend the depth. Of the hive box 3 1/2 inches To accommodate Peat Moss in the bottom of the hive To make Thr hive more like the inside of a tree hollow and control moisture I live here in upper state South Carolina with lots of humidity
I recently read a post about someone saying using Pete Moss it’s not a good idea does anybody have any thoughts on that or experience if I’m not to use Pete Moss do I need to raise the bottom
Floor of the hive or will the extra distance make a difference to the bees?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Like I said and re-said many times - 2-3 inches under frame space is sufficient for your particular design.
If you want to bother with eco-floor (moss, etc) - whatever makes you happy works too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a thought on Layens design. In general I think it should be deeper, at least enough to accommodate Langstroth frames turned sideways. This allows for 2 medium Langstroth frames to be connected at the bottom bars with a connector on top for ears. The existence of easily and economically available standard equipment such as frames and foundation and so forth should come into the design of "new" designs.

As for eco-floors, keep in mind the reasons for doing so. You are trying to create a secondary environment that you must also maintain. Hoping for pseudoscorpions and other such things among other things. But you are also creating a nice semi soil environment for larva to pupate. If you don't have an environment with things to predate such things, you are basically making it easier for SHB and other critters to thrive.

Bottom space in a hive is not as critical thing, because bee-space doesn't really come into play. Think of a top bar hive. It has inches and inches of bottom space until the bees build comb on the top bars. Same thing with frames. If there is "too much" space below the frame, the bees will treat the underside of the frame the same way they would a top bar.

Here is a sketch of 2 mediums with a connector. But it will be about 19-3/8" tall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a thought on Layens design. In general I think it should be deeper, at least enough to accommodate Langstroth frames turned sideways. This allows for 2 medium Langstroth frames to be connected at the bottom bars with a connector on top for ears. The existence of easily and economically available standard equipment such as frames and foundation and so forth should come into the design of "new" designs.

As for eco-floors, keep in mind the reasons for doing so. You are trying to create a secondary environment that you must also maintain. Hoping for pseudoscorpions and other such things among other things. But you are also creating a nice semi soil environment for larva to pupate. If you don't have an environment with things to predate such things, you are basically making it easier for SHB and other critters to thrive.

Bottom space in a hive is not as critical thing, because bee-space doesn't really come into play. Think of a top bar hive. It has inches and inches of bottom space until the bees build comb on the top bars. Same thing with frames. If there is "too much" space below the frame, the bees will treat the underside of the frame the same way they would a top bar.

Here is a sketch of 2 mediums with a connector. But it will be about 19-3/8" tall.

View attachment 62357

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,420 Posts
in doing are studying some people put forth the idea to extend the depth. Of the hive box 3 1/2 inches To accommodate Peat Moss in the bottom of the hive To make Thr hive more like the inside of a tree hollow and control moisture I live here in upper state South Carolina with lots of humidity
I recently read a post about someone saying using Pete Moss it’s not a good idea does anybody have any thoughts on that or experience if I’m not to use Pete Moss do I need to raise the bottom
Hi Bob,
from your post seems the hives are built.
So give them a try the original way you designed them, On BS here it is not likely more than 3-5 % of the people use peat moss in the hive so with out the moss is not a serious set back IMO.

in the tree hollow as you suggested the bees are 15 to 30 feet in the air, will you also lift them up to better simulate the tree hive hollow condition?

GG

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Personally, I'd forget the peat moss idea and stick to what has been proven to work well over countless numbers of years. I've just posted some links to Layens-style hives over in the Warre/Compact Vertical Hive sub-forum, as the Ukrainian guy who made those videos runs both types of hive. Maybe I should have divided the links between there and here ? Anyway, they're well-worth watching. Some of his Layens-style hives have solid floors, some have 100% mesh open all year long. (but no peat moss :) ) Many ways of skinning the proverbial cat.
'best
LJ

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Some of his Layens-style hives have solid floors, some have 100% mesh open all year long.
Due to the viewership interest in his channel, he made and is testing 1)solid floors, 2)mesh floors and 3)slotted floors.
This next summer 2021, it will be a year since he made that batch of the hives.
I personally like the "slotted bottoms", made a couple and also testing them.

His slotted bottoms (2:00 and so forth).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts