Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any municipality has ever created a law/rule that prohibits at least exterminator companies from being allowed to kill colonies?

I've heard of a few stories of ppl calling them to get bees "removed" and was thinking maybe we should try to put a stop to that.

It's technically our state insect, so maybe I can try to draw parallels to the state bird or something.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
736 Posts
Most exterminator companies around here will not kill them, they are telling everybody it is a state law, but that is a little gray area. I think they just do not want to deal with the mess left behind.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Most exterminator companies around here will not kill them, they are telling everybody it is a state law, but that is a little gray area. I think they just do not want to deal with the mess left behind.
I posted an ad on Craigslist for free swarm removal and got my first call yesterday. The home owner had called terminex first to get ride of a swarm that settled into his weber grill and they told him they are not allowed to exterminate honey bees. Lucky for me and the bees so he called me to have them removed for free....

·
Registered
273 Posts
For as much as I am for saving every bee possible, there are some situations where extermination is the only real option. Some unscrupulous exterminators take advantage, but outlawing killing the hives I think is unworkable. Even if you provided exceptions, that would require all kinds of bureaucracy that we don't need. IMHO

JC

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
For as much as I am for saving every bee possible, there are some situations where extermination is the only real option. Some unscrupulous exterminators take advantage, but outlawing killing the hives I think is unworkable. Even if you provided exceptions, that would require all kinds of bureaucracy that we don't need. IMHO

JC
Here in CO, "most" exterminators SAY it is illegal (whether or not I do not know), but I have personally been on several "save the bees if you can missions", that an exterminator company has left. The main reason being; "we didn't know they were honeybees":scratch: Maybe they got one or two;) many stings from hot bees. Beekeepers who are "exterminators", becomes another gray area for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had beekeepers argue with me that it was illegal to kill honeybees in IN. I've gotten cutout calls from people that were told by exterminators that it was illegal to kill bees. But as of 3 weeks ago it was still completely legal here.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,992 Posts
The smart exterminators know how much of a mess it makes if you just kill the bees and tearing apart a building is not in their "lane". So they make up the story about it being illegal, or maybe they actually believe it. I've never seen a law anywhere that makes it illegal to kill bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts