Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..I've been kicking around an idea and would like your thoughts on it...A bee friendly lawn alternative...Could it be done? What ground cover or mix of plants could be green enough to be visually pleasing, bloom when short enough to still be considered a lawn, withstand periodic mowing and provide forage for bees? Maybe a mixture of those plants and a grass seed. Something to get away from monoculture lawns and provide more suburban forage...at the farm I mix red and white clover with fescue seed and I like the results, but not sure the bee value of doing that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I planted about a half of acre last year with diffrent types of clover to see how it would do. The red got to high and stalky for me but I liked the yellow and white clover. I think it will do well for a lawn. I intend to plant a couple of acres this year.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This does not actually answer your question. I live off the road, so I can do what I want. I do not like mowing grass, so I planted a herb garden in front. Used pine needles as mulch. Looks nice. Bees happy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have been wondering this too. but are the clovers evergreen? or at least perennial? I am picturing a super muddy mess in the spring. at least lawn grass stays put all winter. its ugly but it covers the ground. any thoughts?

I have seen bees working bungleweed or ajuga reptans. it can handle the occasional mowing and even some foot traffic. pretty purple flowers. I think it is there all winter. perhaps a mix of those. could get costly.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My lawn is all white dutch clover. It is green year round and if you don't mow it or graze it it grows to about eight inches tall. The back yard is grazed by poultry and stays about two inches. I get about four months of bloom out of it. I love it.

Also, territorial seed has a "mow no more" mix that is low growing grasses and flowers but I'm not sure what all is in it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
We're working our way to a "grass free" lawn using raised beds and eventually monkey grass, vetch and clover along the walkways. No lawnmowers... It is a transition and definitely a work in progress as we fiddle with what where and how much to plant. We have a tiny yard and have started to add a new bed in the front or work a part of the backyard each year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts