Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie when it comes to bees. We've got 13 wild swarms we've caught locally over the last couple years. Is it possible to remove all the supers by a certain date and place on an empty one with foundation for them to draw comb and fill for the winter? We've been using the one piece waxed plastic racks with foundation.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,888 Posts
rather than take it all and leave foundation, evaluate what they have and need for winter and leave them with a box to 2 boxes. some take is all and feed syrup back. based of where you live this "left amount" can vary a lot so reach out to a local person to see what he/she uses for fall hive weight, get a scale , feed or leave up to there and see how it goes.

GG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rather than take it all and leave foundation, evaluate what they have and need for winter and leave them with a box to 2 boxes. some take is all and feed syrup back. based of where you live this "left amount" can vary a lot so reach out to a local person to see what he/she uses for fall hive weight, get a scale , feed or leave up to there and see how it goes.

GG
The couple that I've talked to take all towards the end of the year and then feed syrup. I'm just trying to figure out a good time to pull everything off while allowing them time to replenish and leave them alone until next spring.

·
Registered
2021 17 hives
383 Posts
GoatFarmer,

I'm in mid Missouri so I'm kind of close to you. Here's what I do. I harvest near the first week in July. I'm only interested in spring, light honey. The fall flow for me pretty well refills the honey for my bees for the year. After removing/extracting supers I put the still wet supers back on the colonies above the inner cover for a week or so. Then I remove all but 1 super and put it below the inner cover. Do you over winter on 1 or 2 deeps. Some of mine that had enough bees after extracting I used 2 deeps, smaller ones I'd leave in 1 deep. I have found that even with feeding in summer/fall some hives do not draw empty foundation.

This year I moved to single deep system, I plan on using a deep and a medium for over wintering.

I do use a sugar block as added insurance in early February. You can put this right above the cluster so they will use it up after they have used most of their honey. Don't be afraid to go into the colonies for a short time to check on the girls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. We only use single deeps. The bees seem to do better here dealing with moths and beetles with only a single deep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts